1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maxell RG01??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Kmate, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Kmate

Kmate Guest

Anybody tell me about these cheapies any experiences. They wont come up in any search on this forum.peace kmate.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Accoring to http:digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    They are first rate
    media,but watch out for fakes. That site hasn't been updated for a while.

I haven't run into them yet,the the mxl-rg02's are working great-maxell -r 4x with yellow tops.

Btw, staple's have maxell + and - 4x in the 15 pack spindle for $5.94 for any maxell users.Maxell's run about a buck apiece when not on sale.

3. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

Hey, on those Maxell DVD-R / DVD+R on sale at Staples: DON'T BUY THEM, the DVD-R. I've burned about 100 so far with zero problems using other brands. I went and bought a few packages of the Maxell DVD-R on sale and have been having all sorts of problems. I also bought 1 package of the DVD+R and those worked fine.
    The problem is the burn would fail. I would watch and burning tracks would complete, then during writing the "Lead-Out" I would get an error that the burn failed. Some would work, some didn't. I think, and this is only a guess, that they don't have a true 4.7 gig of space. So I was running out of room at the very end. The DVD's seemed to still work. I tried reducing the DVD-shrink from 4464mb to 4450mb, thinking that if I forced it to shrink just a teeny bit less...... some still didn't work, some did. I'm about out of the Maxell DVD-R and WILL NOT go back to buy more. The DVD+R so far seem to be ok.
    I typically have used Verbatim / Imation / Sony / Fuji with ZERO problems till these Maxell's.
    Sony DRU710a Burner / DVD Decrypter 3.5.2 / DVD Shrink

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No regular dvdr has room for an actual 4.7 gigs of data to go on them. 4.5 is about the max. I keep mine target at 4300 mbs.

I picked up 3 packs of the -4x yellow tops at staples and 1 pack of +4x. The -4x were mxlrgo2. The +4x were ricohjpn01. All of them are burning sweet,going to another staples to find some more.

My benq will play anything I slap in it. Sony +1-8x,i can get 16x out of them. No stand alone issues at 16x.
    I mainly use mcoo3,mcoo2,ricohjpn01,and mxlrgo2. Dvd shrink and nero only.

5. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

Are you reading the actual mfg off of the disk itself? I just thought the yellow top DVD-R looked cheaper...feel around the edge and it would be rougher. Possibly seconds? The DVD+R look better and have worked flawlessly for me.
    Wher can I find the true mfg of them? Near the center? I will admit, I always thought of Maxell as a quality brand (from the old days of their cassette tapes, XL's) Staples here had plenty of +, but was almost out of -R. Maybe I'll go get more +

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey gasman,those were the 15 pack spindles I picked up. The 10 pack with jewel cases -4x also had the same mxlrg02 code. I still haven't run into the mxlrg01 codes.The maxell +4x in the 3 pack,15 pack and 25 pack spindles all had the ricohjpn01 code.

Maxell is a fairly good brand because of all their different manufacturers. I think they have 4 different manufacturers.All 4 manufacturers are highly reputatable.A lot of the other brand names also have different manufacturers but their overall quality has a lot of difference. I try out all the different media when they are on sale and the first thing I check is the manufacturer code. Those ricohjpn01's I use were on these discs:maxell +4x,teon +8x,sony +4x, and verbatim media life +4x.When switching to a different quantity packs,the manufacturers can also change. Those teon's I got on sale at staples for 20 pack of +8x,the 40 packs were probably a different manufacturer.That is why if you stick with a brand like sony,memorex,fuji,and tdk-the 25 packs may be great but the 50 packs may be crap.

I hang out here at ad quite a bit and the words I here is:The plus format media seems to be higher in quality than the -. Especially with memorex 25 pack spindle. And every burner likes a certain type of media.

Here is a link for a free trial program to check the manufacturer Id codes: http://dvdinfopro.com

There's even a better program in the software tab under dvdr tools called the dvdidentifier. I think this one is free,the free trial has not come up yet if there is one.

A buddy of mine at work told me that those maxell's -4x at staples coded as tygo2's according to dvd decrypter. His wife picked them up at the same store I got mine.

7. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

Saugman,
    Yep, bought those same 15pacs of the Maxell disks. Thanks for the idea on DVD Identifier; got it, works, etc. It says both the DVD-R and the DVD+R are made by Hitachi/Maxell. Space difference was minimal. And the R+ was the smaller. 4489 for -R, 4482 for the +R. But the -R just don't seem to work reliably in my Sony. I've already reduced my DVD Shrink to 4450, clearly less than the space thats there.

I just know using the Verbatim / Imation / Fuji / Sony, I could start a burn & walk away--a sucessful burn was about guaranteed. Now I have to watch, only to see "burn failed" messages happen...mostly during the lead-out phase.

Thanks for your help.

8. Kmate

Kmate Guest

Hi guys .Thanks for your replies. I bought these dvd-rs printable on australian ebay for a cheap price so its a safe bet that the quality is questionable. The description given was taken by using dvd identifier. Does that mean that that they are genuine or could they still be copies? Ive had alot of failures with them, 70%. Is it my drive. Lite on? Thanks.

9. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

Kate & Saugmon,
    Thanks for DVD Identifier.... It tells me that "some" of these discs are 4x, some are 8x. Both the DVD+R and DVD-R report as being Hitachi/Maxell.
    Kate, my failure rate with the DVD-R has been high too; no problems with the +R, which Identifier tells me are 8x's. Most of the -R's fail during the "Lead-out" phase, which it turns out may not matter anyway. Discs seem to play fine regardless. But I'll never buy Maxell DVD-R 8x again. Quality just isn't there. So Kate, I really doubt that it is your drive, but the quality of your media. Everything I read said to buy quality media and apparently Maxell isn't quality media.
    Good luck and hope this helps. I'll never stock up on any media, unless I've tried a few before buying mass quanitities.

10. Kmate

Kmate Guest

True dat thanks