1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximum sharpness X maximum smoothness

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by diolyvera, Jan 31, 2007.

1. diolyvera

diolyvera Member

I don't know the diference between either "maximum sharpness" or "smoothness". I usually choose maximum sharpness for animation movies and smoothness for all the others (with actors, i mean "real" things. Should i keep on doing this?

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Here's a good rule-of-thumb guide for the AEC setting on various compression levels:

90-99.9% compression- use Max Sharp
    80-90% compression- use Default Sharp
    65-80% compression- use Smooth
    <65% compression- use Max Smooth

3. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

4. diolyvera

diolyvera Member

Thank u all! that guide is very useful!

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I hardly use DVD Shrink nowadays simply because of Nero Recode's enhancements quality "AA + HQSR + Assign Best Quality to Main Movie" or Recode's AEC Changer by Solomon and DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70. However, whenever I used it, I'd go with "Max Smooth."

Best of luck!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Alkohol is right. Since Mr. Shrink went to Nero and has had a few years to improve his transcoding algorithms with Nero's Recode, I'm sure Nero recode is now far superior to Shrink.

Turns out, now several years after my earlier posts in 2004, I do use Shrink adaptive compensation sometimes. I use the max smoothness option, as recommended by Alkohol, whenever I judgmentally determine adaptive compensation is needed.

And the only reason I use Shrink, instead of Nero recode (which I do have sitting on that computer), is sheer laziness. I'm from the "Ripit4me school", which as we know, opens Shrink as it's last step.

So I'd say go with Alkohol's recommendation and use Nero Recode if you really want an optimized transcoded result.