1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maybe i'm paranoid....

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Mar 2, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

ok, probably quite a few of you saw my whole issue a few days ago so I won't go into the whole thing - it's pretty much been solved - and the problem was my media -

so, I took some people's advice and bought Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's (inkjet hub printable) and they should be here within a few days - but i'm worried they won't work either (just like my Imation DVD-R's) in which if I burn more than an hour on them they start to either freeze or they don't burn at all (I'll get an error).

should I even be worried? or should I feel confident that my $85.00 spindle will be fine?

I know no one can predict what will happen...but what does everyone think?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I can predict what will happen. Out of the 100 disks you just bought, you'll get 100 perfect burns. One of the reasons Taiyo Yuden media is so highly regarded is that their dye is top notch, and it is laid out evenly to the very outer edge of the disk. So to answer the jist of your post, no, oyu shouldn't be worried. :)

3. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

unless you get some fakes - like me and the other 100 or so ppl on the forums have lately :(

the disks i have got are the worst disks i have had in the 1000 or so i have burned!

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

no shit? where'd you buy them? and what did you think you were buying?

5. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i got mine from bigpockets.co.uk

i bought 200 in december - the first 100 seemed fine - 5th spindle all i got was errors... then went back and almost all the 100 i had previously burned now skip and cant even duplicate them onto another media!

i am RMAing them back tomorrow... not sure if they will replace the 100 useless ones tho! not a happy bunny!

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

ahh, you're in the uk. I was wondering, since I haven't heard of any problems with reputable US retailers. i don't know where you're from dvdauthor, but hopefully you're experience won't duplicate babelfish's.

7. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

hi, thanks for the replies...

i'm from the US, and I purchased from
    www.dvd-rwmedia.com

8. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

this is what I bought:

http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/taiyo-yuden--8x-dvd-r-media-white-inkjet-printable.html

and I have a question: how can companies get away with selling fakes? I'm not new to dvd burning, but I am new to knowing that sometimes under the same company name, different manufactures make the actual dvd-r's. So basically you never know...until you get them home. Also, Taiyo Yudens are not sold in stores...why not?

thanks.

9. swervin

swervin Regular member

Most reputable companies won't intentionally sell fakes. They have a reputation to uphold and want to keep it clean. The ones who do sell fakes are in the business to make money and nothing else. I wouldn't worry about your purchase, or not until I got them and checked the code to see if they are indeed TY's. This doesn't always mean they aren't fake though. It seems it's a shooting match anymore. I check all my disks for proper code. I also go by burn success. I've never had a bad burn with any TY disk yet. I bought a 100 disk pack of the Value TY's, the ones everyone is talking about being fake. I don't think they are fake as they all burn flawlessly for me.

The reason you don't see Taiyo Yudens for sale in the store is because they only make disks for other companies, such as Fuji and Maxell. A non branded Taiyo Yuden disk has no markings as to who made it. The only way to check is with a disk info program and this seems to be going by the wayside with the fake TY's being sold lately. It's turning into a crap game lately as to what you may get. I like buying Branded disks such as Maxell and hope to get TYGO1's or the Maxell MXL RGO2's. Of course with printable disks, you once again have no markings to go by so you are back at the mercy of the vendor.

Mike

10. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Babelfish, I see you buy in the UK, I get my TY's from SVP, several hundred so far, all perfect, and the price is about half what it was when I started buying them. So if you want to chance your arm again.....

11. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

already added to favorites for next time :)

yeah - i have deffo learnt that quality media is the way to go... unfortunately didnt know that back 2 years ago when i started all this - so my old rips are on crappy disks!

12. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Yeah, my first burns were on Bulkpaq (Princo), I thought that the crappy results were down to my inexperience with the s/w. Luckily (by blind chance), my second batch of DVDs were pukka Ritek, that taught me the importance of media quality real fast.

13. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

ive had some dodgy riteks too - the arita disks are crap! although ridisks were cool - even tho one lot were fakes i think as they had no MID and the dye was really light - still work ok tho!

14. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

These were pukka RiDatas, back in the old days when you could rely on Ritek quality.

15. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

im using traxdata ritek g05 atm - great disks!

16. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Ok - so now I know why they don't sell these in stores - good to know...

well, mine came today - and WOW! the quality is GREAT. everything worked fine, and my problems have been solved.

I also checked my media with dvdinfopro and they are authentic! i'll be buying Taiyo Yuden ONLY from now on.

One thing I noticed is that the Taiyo printables have more of a glossy front - which is nice - not as smooth of a touch, but they shine more than the matte finish ones. So, you can either have a smooth feeling disc, or one that shines - i'll take the one that shines. Looks GREAT when printed on.