1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maybe new discs the problem ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sarah1277, Apr 28, 2005.

1. sarah1277

sarah1277 Guest

Hi i am having problems with my lite-on 1673, i have been able to burn about 50 films ok using nero with no problems what so ever but all of a sudden i bought some new discs and nothing will work it tells me that the discs have 0 bytes on them and 0 bytes available
    the discs are Datawrite Titanium (8x)(manufacturer id CMC MAG AE1)
    i have also tried to use a memeorex dvd rw that i have used a few times b4 but after i erased the disc it told me exactly the same 0 bytes etc these disc are memorex dvd rw 2x (manufacturer CMCW02)
    i have uninstalled the dvd drive and updated the firmware but still exactly the same can some one please helpas i am stuck
    thanx

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

moved

I would imagine it's the media , Ive recently had troubles with the datawrite titaniums and sent them back [to get full refund].

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

CMC MAG is synonymous with crap. Even if your burns are successful with this media, chances are you will have problems down the road.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi sarah1277,

Discs made by CMC MAG are not totally worthless, work good for setting frosty mug on or target practice but are not recommended for vidio backup.

Try some good quality dvd+r's (liteys normally perform better with +r media and they can also be booktyped dvd-rom). Retail store media: Maxell, Fuji, Verbatum (look for AZO dye), most Sony. Online store media: Taiyo Yuden (beware of fakes) Verbatum datalifeplus, Fuji, Maxell.

Good budget media: branded Ritek Ridata, some prodisc (my litey hates prodisc but my benq handles them just fine).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  5. hctr3

hctr3 Member

I also had a similar problem, and it turns out I was using X8 disks and my drive could only handle X4. Have you used X8 b4? Just a thought.

6. sarah1277

sarah1277 Guest

thanx 4 your help everyone but i have sorted it now.
    at least i wont buy any more discs made by cmc
    got some new ones and everything works fine now

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Glad to hear it sarah 1277. Also beware of memorex brand and discs branded with retail store names (staples, comp usa, etc.). You will find those a lot of times are made by CMC MAG and noname companys. Good luck.

Mort

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

looks like the guys helped you out. i was just gonna chip in that any datawrite's i've come across (many, many of them) are less than good (ok, crap) :)

i've had loads of grief copying from copies made to datawrites, i frown whenever i come across anything datawrite now, so won't go near any of them, regardless of which type of datawrite they are

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

CMC = crap as wolfniggr more elegantly stated, i would have to agree with him 100%

my usual recommendation of trying some Taiyo Yudens and Verbatims is due here. lately, there have been a lot of sales online for the Verbs...these media code out w/ a MCC prefix, very good quality media in my opinion. can't go wrong w/ the TYs either, but, might be more difficult to find the Made In Japans at local retail stores as many of them are carrying primarily made in Taiwans lately.

i have a 15pk of those memorex CMC MAG AE1, they are all coasters on my coffee table now, all 15 of them...i use the tub it came in to stack them up always ready for use when i have friends over w/ frosty beer cans or a hot cup of coffee :)

think about trying new media as i suggested, i think you will have less problems in the near future.

10. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

i just installed a lite-on 1673 in my desktop, and every dvd i've tried to backup has come out crap...
    i'm using tdk 8x, but have some verbatims in the mail.
    the laptop is burning using the tdk dvds and all are coming out great, the desktop using the new lite-on is choppy and freezes up on at least 6 different titles i've tried.
    could it really be the media, or is it the burner?
    i'm using win 98, gonna try to upgrade to win 2000
    not sure why nothing will backup right on the new burner, i downloaded the latest firmware for it.
    not sure if i need to return it or try something else.
    i'm using decrypter and shrink for backups
    i was using a dvd rom to read and buring to liteon, then just tried using the liteon to decrypt then use the liteon to shrink and decrypt, so i didn't use the other rom drive at all, same problems....choppy and freezes when i try to watch the dvd

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jer2911tx,

What format (+r or -r) and what is the media code of your TDK discs? Use this free proggy to get the media code. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ If they are +r you can booktype them dvd-rom with your litey useing a little free tool called lite-on booktype utility thus increasing compatability. There's also another nice little tool called eeprom utility that we can try if bitsetting doesn't help.

Marty

12. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

the tdk are +r, because my laptop only does +r
    the lite-on 1673 can use +r or -r, so i just get all +r blanks so i can use on either laptop or desktop.
    i can't load dvd identifier here at work, but i do have it at home.
    i do have a tdk disc with me here at work since i brought in a dvd for a friend.
    If they are +r you can booktype them dvd-rom with your litey useing a little free tool called lite-on booktype utility thus increasing compatability. There's also another nice little tool called eeprom utility that we can try if bitsetting doesn't help.

i have no idea what you mean....well, kinda, but not really. where do i get the lite-on booktype utility and how do i use it?
    what is 'booktyping' them?
    what is eeprom and what does it do?

man, i am a noob
    thx for the help....
    i was so excited to get the lite-on, and was sure it'd be much quicker than the laptop.....turns out it isn't working for me, at all.
    i upgraded the firmware, went from like J02 to J07, so that should be the latest. if it isn't the meida it must be a bad burner, no?
    how can i check to see if the burner is the problem, besides waiting for the verbatim discs to arrive and try them out?

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here's some good reading. http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150 If you still have questions, ask away.

We'll cross that bridge if needed later. Save it as last resort.

Yeah JS07 is the latest official f/w.

Litey's can be kind of picky (well a pain in the a$$ really) untill you get some of the kinks worked out of em. I prefer burning with my BenQ but will never part with my Litey for ripping (almost twice as fast as my BenQ) or for scans of any kind whether it be KProbe, Nero scan, or DVDinfopro scans.

Here is a link to the Lite-on booktype utility. I think the instructions for how to use it comes packaged with the download, if not there should be a link showing you how to use it. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83441 I booktype all my +r media dvd-rom and have the best results like this over the other formats. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Here are some media codes for the TDK dvd+r. The first and third concern me. CMC MAG is junk and even if it burns ok at first probably won't last.

TDK DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    TDK DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    TDK DVD+R 8x (CMC MAG.E01)
    TDK DVD+R 8x (RICOHJPN R02)
    TDK DVD+RW 2.4x (MCC.....A01)
    TDK DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)

Marty

14. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

thanks for the links
    i'll check my tdks with dvd id when i get home, pretty sure they are the crap cmc mag or whatever, but no problems on the laptop, at all

so, the booktype utility just changes the setting so when i use a dvd +r, when it is burned, it appears to be a dvd-rom when i use another dvd player?

sounds easy enough to download that and chage the setting, then recheck it when i do firmware upgrades.

just not sure why i'm having the problem with the tdks
    there are no errors when burning, it just comes out choppy and freezes up often when i view the dvd in a dvd player.

how can i tell from the tdk packaging whether or not the discs will be cmc or the good kind?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You won't need to recheck it when you upgrade your f/w. Once it's set dvd-rom it will remain that way unless you set it back to dvd+r. After you've made a burn with the boktype utility set dvd-rom, use dvd identifier to make sure the setting is correct and that the dvd+r was booktyped dvd-rom. It should say [dvd+r][dvd-rom] after Disc and Booktype.

Unfortunately you can't. As a rule of thumb always look for media that is made in Japan.

Liteys particularly do not like media made by CMC MAG (at least from my experiences). Some makes of dvdrw's will burn them ok but like I stated previously, the data will probably fade over time. Although some can get lucky with CMC, most here don't recommend them for vidio reproduction although they do work well for setting under your frosty mug (coster).

16. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

if the tdks were coming up with errors when burning, i could see how it would definitely be a media problem...
    but with the laptop burner having no problem with them, and no erors showing up when burning with the lite-on, could it be a burner problem?
    i guess i could stop by the store and pick up a single good brand to try out since my verbatims aren't coming in until tomorrow.
    it's driving me crazy.

also, i only have 512k memory....should i buy a 512k and replace one of the 256's? would that make a difference having 768k memory vs 512k? would it be a noticeable difference?
    the only thing i may keep running when burning is the firewall and avg virus protection.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jer2911tx,

Take a chill pill dude and lets try some of the things suggested before you get all bent out of shape. Lets check the media code on those TDK's and try bitsetting and then if need be an eeprom reset before you start worrying about a defective drive.

Your memory is fine. More will only speed up your encode times but 512 is sufficient.

One suggestion I would make on media would be to pick up a small package of dvd+rw's, 5 or less. Good brands are Verbatum, Maxell, Sony, or Fuji. Stay far away from memorex period.

18. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

lol, ya,
    i'll check the code when i get home.
    i'll stop by best buy and get some dvd rws

at least the laptop is working fine, i'd really be freaking out if that was messed up, too.

i appreciate the help.
    should be able o have something posted by 7:30pm central time.

19. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

memorex is baddddddddddddddd...naughty lil memorex~ giving problems to yet another person, causing grief, headache, and overflowing frustration~

*scolding CMC MAG* BAD BAD BAD.

oh sorry, was in my own little world there, while i have a litey as well, please use mort81's suggestions as his advice here is very good.

there is a slim chance you might have a defective burner, but, i think there is a greater chance that it's BAD MEDIA.

20. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

the tdk was cmc mag e01
    i'm gonna try a sony dvd +rw sony-s11-000

i'll post again after trying to shrink/decrypt to dvd rw

thx for the help