1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe stupid question but what is OEM ?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Daxx, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

Ive looked at NEC 1300 and I know that NEC:s firmware-updates are not 4 the OEM versions it says on their homepage but what is OEM really ?

I know like if one buys a computer from lets say Compaq and it is a burner whith it from NEC, then it is OEM but why are some versions called OEM when ya buy them separately ?

Whats the difference, really...and are there any disadvantages ?

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

OEM or bulk is the drive you get when getting a computer, or when you buy it only "as is", with no box, software, manual etc.

Retail is the drive that has all this (software, manuals, box) but is more expensive and because of that usually the bulk versions are better since you get the same thing for lower price.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

also OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer but in software say like powerdvdxp if it comes with a drive like my samsung when powerdvdxp fires up on screen it says samsung across it! on my computer as its retail software it just says powerdvdxp!

also if you have install discs (restore type) for a bought computer from the shop to load windows and say 10 other programs those are OEM aswell and are tuned for that system alone! say it loads nero it has been tested to work with all hardware on that machine! and garanteed by the makers of the computer! and nero may not be the same as what you by retail standalone type software! stand alone type may be bigger in megabytes due to having all types of coding for every machine possible it will load to!

Also OEM drives are not usally warranted meaning if it exploads you get a new one from the website you bought it but you get no help from actual makers of the drives (sometimes) thats why they are cheaper!

I buy mainly OEM for price!

Thx...

Aslo espacially software that is OEM is for computer builders only! by LAW! but alot flaunt this legal state, and like ebay sell you a hardware item like a screw with it so you are a builder of computers, they sell oem cheaper to builders of computers for the world economy so basically the maker gets some money the seller gets some money and you buy the drive after and pay tax on it all the way up! if computer builders bought all retail they wouldnt last 5 mins! they would need to get to much money back to survive...

thx..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003