1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe stupid VOB question, not sure...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by chiefnet, Dec 27, 2002.

1. chiefnet

chiefnet Member

I'm a newbie, and I keep reading to rip the DVD, and then pick the VOB file. I can't find anywhere saying which VOB file to pick when there's multiples, and being able to tell which one is the right onw. I just ripped Minority Report and there are I think 4 VOB files. They are all the same size. I'm not sure which one is the right one. How can you tell which VOB file is the right one, and are all of them needed? Thanks in advance.

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

First off, do you want the menus also? The files you will need for a complete movie are roughly this

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB etc.

Your VTS_01_1,2,3 etc. is your main movie file. This is very easy to figure out in dvd decrypter and smartripper. Both programs usually figure it out for you. Now there are a few movies that put widescreen and standard on the same disc. You have to open these up in PowerDVD to know which one you want. You must have ripped the four main movie files if they are the same size. They should all be about 1GB apiece, correct?

3. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

but... some dvd titles has 2 kind of features, wide screen and fullscreen. For example Ice age has those 2 features. But anyway, if you going to use Ifoedit later after ripping your DVD's vobfiles, use version 091 (Ifoedit v091) instead of version 95 (Ifoedit v095. Because when using "Vobs-Extra", version 095 (Ifoedit v095) doesn't create a new video_ts.ifo and we need that file to make a complete DVD.

4. chiefnet

chiefnet Member

Thank you framerman and omegaboy. Framerman,
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB etc. was exactly what I saw, so that's why I was confused. You are correct in that all for files were approximately a little over 1GB a piece. So that means that I will need all 4 to copy the movie, or does that mean one is widescreen, one is standard, etc.?

5. framerman

framerman Regular member

Well, I hate to tell you omegaboy, but v. 0.95 does make video_ts.ifo files. Why would derrow take something off a newer version that is necessary to all movies?

chiefnet:

Your movie is usually at least 4 gb's. The 4 or 5 vob files under the vts_01 filename is your complete movie set. If there was the same size files say under vts_02, then that would be a dual use dvd disc. One would be your 16:9 widescreen, and one would be a standard 4:3 tv screen. The files would be almost exact, not always, but within say 100 mb's.

Each of your vob files is approximately 25-30 minutes. So a 2 hour movie would have vts_01_1 through vts_01_5 for your main movie file.

6. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

v095 repair the old video_ts.ifo and recopy it to the new destination folder. Some dvd title doesn't work. Anyway, framerman, can you help me with my question in my thread? Thanks.

7. preynolds

preynolds Member

I have another question for you guys.. I have a moveie that is about 4.39 GB. I think this will fit on one of my blank DVD's. How do I know which files I need to copy without going through all the Ifoedit and ReMpeg stuff. I ripped the whole DVD to my hard drive. BUT..the main movies files (5 of them) are different languages. VTS_01_1 is french. The rest of the VTS files 02 thru 05 are english. So I cant exactly just copy them over can I??? Which .BUP and .IFO files do I need?? Do I need to edit anything when the movie below 4.37 GB??

8. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest