1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB size vs Track Length

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by raider420, May 27, 2003.

1. raider420

raider420 Member

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a newbie to vcd creation and have what I think is a fairly simple answer.

The avi that I am attempting to burn to vcd via Nero Express 5.5 on 700mb/80min cd is 560568mb in size and shows as 86mins 52secs in length.

I'm a little confused as when I add the avi file to my vcd project it shows the CD as being almost 800mb in size. Hence an unworkable size.

Am correct in assuming that the 86min lenth is the problem and that Nero ignores the actual filesize?? To me it seems like I should be able to make this work but am certainly no where near 100% sure.

Any clarification on this would be great. Thanks all.

jy

2. raider420

raider420 Member

My mistake.... avi file is not 560568mb. Its 560568kb, or about 560mb. Sorry about that.

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

your avi file needs to be encoded to vcd standards and when that happens you will find it not being able to fit on 1 cdr because you can only get 80minutes of std vcd on it. Now you can burn it on cd as is and it will be an avi file that can play on your pc...

4. raider420

raider420 Member

"your avi file needs to be encoded to vcd standards"... what are the "official" vcd standards? I assume that certain file formats meet the requirements.
    I belive that I had encoded the file w/ DiVX 5.0.2 and saved as an avi Virtuadub....

Thanks in advance!

jy

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

the 'official' vcd standards which will allow the movie to be played on a dvd player that plays vcd is bps of 1150 and audio at 224kps. My suggestion is to use tmpgenc to re-encode the file to meet these standards (use the wizard and it will guide you thru the correct settings)... Divx is mpeg4 and vcd is mpeg1. Divx is great because you can get a lot of minutes of a movie on 1 cd and the quaility is still good. The downfall is that it only plays on your pc (there are some dvd players that will play mpeg4, but they are very expensive and do not do a very good job yet)..
    Hope this answers your question..