1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDS File Question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jrwmlf, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jrwmlf

jrwmlf Guest

My Shrink program is creating MDS files all of a sudden instead of ISO files. When I back up the DVD I am selecting ISO Image File in the Shrink program, but it's making an MDS file. How do I change it back so that it will create ISO files again?

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

The .mds file is the file that DVDDecrypter or ImgBurn use to burn the DVD. That is the file that has the DVD info in it for the layer break flag. You should have 1 .mds file and the rest should be .iso depending on if you are using FAT32 or NTFS. You point ImgBurn or DVDD at the .mds file and click OK and the program will start the burn

3. jrwmlf

jrwmlf Guest

Thanks Mike. I was just curious as to why all of a sudden my shrinks are making MDS files instead of ISO? I've been shrinking and burning for over a year and all of a sudden the final product is an MDS instead of a shrink. Does it make any difference or can I burn just the same?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

jrwmlf,
    Are you saying that when you do a movie in Shrink all you get are .mds files??

5. jrwmlf

jrwmlf Guest

Correct. I've been burning movies for about a year. Normally I use DVD Decrypter, DFab, or RipIt, then Shrink, and DVD Decrypter to burn it. Usually when I shrink it makes an ISO file that I burn.

On Saturday I tried to do a movie with DFab. When I opened it, it said it detected something called DVD43. I hadn't ever seen that message before. Anyway, I used the DFab, Shrunk it, and there was an MDS file instead of an ISO?

I went in and located the DVD43 file and removed it. Then I re-did the movie with Ripit, and Shrink, and got an MDS file again. I used to always get an ISO when I shrunk, but now it's MDS no matter what program I use. I've uninstalled the Decrypters and Shrinks and then re-installed, but still MDS is the result. Is there a way to get it back to creating ISO files? Is there any issue with burning MDS files?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It sounds like you are running a FAT 32 filesystem (and a lot of ppl still use this even under Win XP) which cannot handle files larger than 4 GB and shrinked movies usually are at about 4.7 GB, DVD Shrink splits the backup files on such systems into a multipart or segmented ISO which consists of several 1 GB files with an enumerated extension like .i01, .i02 and an .mds file of a few bytes which holds info on the parts. You can mount or burn this .mds file just as you would do with the ISO.

Also DVD43 is an actual proggie which works in the same way as AnyDVD you might need to re-intall this proggie and then remove it under the add/remove programs under your control panel to get rid of it properly.

In case you do have a FAT32 partition under XP you can convert it to NTFS which can hold files larger than 4 GB. Although you do NOT have to format your drive - you can convert it with data being on it as long as it's got some space left - you should backup your data anyway! After that open a command prompt and use 'convert mydriveletter /fs:NTFS'.

Cheers