1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDS files?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by nintari, Aug 8, 2004.

1. nintari

nintari Member

I just burned NFL2K with DVD decrypter but didn't get an ISO file. I got 3 files instead. I burned the MDS file as it was the one that was recognized. Well, the DVD back up didn't run. This was the first bad burn I've had. Did I do something wrong by burning the MDS file?

Any help?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

3 files were created because you are running fat32. it cannot handle images over 4gigs. Burning the .mds file works every time for me. something else must have gone wrong.

3. nintari

nintari Member

Thanks alot :)

I'll try a slower burn this time. I burned at 4X. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

4. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

I'm having the same problem. I tried burning Tony Hawk's Underground and a few other games where the .iso file was not there. I burned using the .mds file and the games did not work. I do not think that I am running fat32 (how do I tell). The games with the .iso files work perfectly.

I use DVD Decryptor and Ritek media. I burned at 1x. I am not sure what is going on. I originally thought they were just bad burns. But, it only happens when no .iso file is found.

Does this have something to do with the size of the game? I noticed that when the games are over 4GB, this happens.

I also tried to burn a straight copy the game using nero and it still did not work.

Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  5. Redlife2g

Redlife2g Member

yea its the size...u got 2 choices..either get a dvd-5/9 disc or split the image file <---search the forum for info on how to do this.

6. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

I figured out the problem. I have Windows XP and I was running FAT32 on my computer. A computer running FAT32 cannot handle images over 4 gigs. So, games that are over 4 gigs are difficult to back-up.

Windows XP has a built-in file system converter, so I converted my system to NTFS and have had no problems since then. It is very simple to do and I attached a link to Microsoft to guide you through the steps.

To find out if you are running FAT32, go to your Control Panel and open up Administrative Tools. Select Computer Management and then click on Disk Management. Over to the right you should see a heading labeled File System. Under that it should read FAT32 or NTFS. If you are running FAT32 you need to convert to NTFS. Your computer will also run a lot better after you convert to NTFS. If you want more information about this conversion, do a Google search on “convert FAT32 to NTFS”.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

I hope this helps.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows Xp
    Sony’s Internal DVD±RW Drive DRU-530A
    Media: Ritek DVD-R G04 4x
    DVD Decryptor
    PS2 v5 Flip Top with SMD
    DVD Loader[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  7. nivek41

nivek41 Member

Is there any use for a MDS file? I have never not gotten an iso file however sometimes I will get both an MDS file and an ISO.

8. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

The MDS file just points to the ISO file. I have heard of people burning the MDS file (which in turn burns the ISO file), but I have had no luck.

What do you mean you have never got an ISO, but sometimes you get both? That doesn't make sense to me. Explain in more detail and maybe I can help you further.

9. nivek41

nivek41 Member

I said that I had never not gotten an ISO. Sometimes I get an MDS however I always get an ISO. I just never knew what the MDS was for. From what I'm gathering the MDS is useless if you get the iso, correct?

10. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

Yes, if you get the ISO file then don't even worry about the MDS file. But, if you are only able to see a MDS file, then you have a problem. That is where the FAT32 issue comes into play (like I mentioned above).