1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDS?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by tony112, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tony112

tony112 Member

what is an MDS file?
    i copied need for speed and i created a WinRar 4GB file. it also created a MDS 5KB File.
    what is the MDS file and how do i write it to a DVD-R using dvd decrypter as wel as writing the WinRar file?

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This file is used by several different programs. It generally is found with an .ISO CD image file and is the equivalent of what a .CUE file is to a .BIN image. IsoBuster can interpret these files directly

So you should be able to just select the .mds file to burn and it will in turn copy your WinRar file to the disk. It is basically acting as the table of contens for what is in the larger image file.

4. tony112

tony112 Member

How come when i click dvd decrypter and then Mode then ISO Write and i click the MDS file and write that and click the veryfy check box, it writes fully 100% but when veryfing it does not complete. it comes up with some message box what is pretty big with a lot of writing and nmbers and characters on. i keep clicking retry but it does not work and the voice comes on and says "ohhh nooo" to say it has not worked. What am i doing wrong??

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

That would seem to be a bug in the latest version [as Ive seen it posted elsewhere on here & on recently joined DVD Decrypter forum aswell].
    Try reverting back to a previous version , and also I personally never check 'verify' unless it a RW media.

Hope I've helped :)

6. tony112

tony112 Member

so what differance does it do if i check veryfy appart from the software checks if there is any problems, surley its better to check the box because then you will know if there are any errors?
    am i doing it rite? Mode = ISO Write and then click the MDS file to be written to the DVD-R?

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

You can do MODE>ISO>READ and then with the image made, you can use Nero to burn it.

I always get an MDS file, but never have ever used it to burn onto a dvd. I always delete mind. But some people have said that they need it for the burn.

But that is just me.

You might as well, go ahead and create the MDS file just as a precautionary thing, or since you may need it.

;)

8. herbsman

tony112 , yes you use the .MDS file when ISO Write mode w/ Decrypter (why do you not use the same software to finish the procedure Venom?).

Your original 4Gb file makes me think that perhaps you're running your Windows O/S on olde worlde Fat32 file system tony112 ... am I right ?

9. tony112

tony112 Member

i dont have a clue. i have win XP Pro. if i have the mds file and also the iso file on my hdd, how do i write this to a DVD-R disc using dvd decrypter so it is playable on a chipped PS2?
    i have wrote the MDS file and tried that disc on the ps2 but it does not work, it says unable to read the disc. what is happening?

10. herbsman

Explore My Computer... right click on C:Drive [or whatever is your operating system drive] and click properties - it will tell you there if you have Fat32 or NTFS file system.
    Only going over all this because fat32 file system has a 4gb limitation to it , so it's really quite relevant ... until we find out one way or the other.
    A friend of mine bought a new eMachines computer very recently & it came w/ XP Pro pre-installed & it was as default on the fat32 file system !: )

With WinXP Pro you can do quick format by using something like this START>RUN>CONVERT C:/ NTFS (altho it suggests it slightly differently in link below).

See this link first [if needing to convert from fat32 to ntfs] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

P.S. *Moving to PS2 forum*

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  11. XNikoX

XNikoX Guest

Thats weird because new computers with *Pro* dont come with Fat harddrive. It should be NTFS. I work for Sony computer company this is how i know this.

12. herbsman

Thats how it came !!

Curry's [name of shop]
    eMachines [brand of PC]

13. tony112

tony112 Member

what tab do i click on to find out if i have a Fat32 system or an NTFS?

14. hursty

hursty Active member

open my computer/find local disc/right click
    there it will tell you the file system
    as herbsman pointed out

if he is using decrypter its not

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  15. tony112

tony112 Member

its NTFS.If im using decrypter its not what?does anybody have msn messenger?

16. hursty

hursty Active member

see PM,

17. herbsman

[herbsman] Quote:
    Only going over all this because fat32 file system has a 4gb limitation to it , so it's really quite relevant
    ------------------------------------------------------

[Hursty] if he is using decrypter its not
    ------------------------------------------------------

@ Hursty : It would be better to sort a 4Gig limitation out now tho wouldn't you agree , as it's not all about just this one burning project.

@tony112 : Are you now using older version of Decrypter as suggested & also what media are you trying to use to burn ??

18. hursty

hursty Active member

he has got NTFS,so it doesnt really matter,
    my point was that using NTFS is better,but not essential,
    i used fat 32 for sometime,
    there was nothing in the form of copying ps2 games i couldnt do,whether the game was over 4gb or not
    dvd decrypter can handle files over 4gb,
    the only real downfall is copying movies with fat32,
    and even that can be got around,by also using using decrypter first, instead of say,dvd shrink
    regards hursty

19. herbsman

That's why I mentioned about sorting out limitations now Hursty , as this was 1st posted to the DVD-R for Newbies [where we're more than often reffering to DVD-Movies] ;-)

20. hursty

hursty Active member

point taken,although i see no sign of "moved from",
    this is the ps2 section after all

hehe

with kind regards

hursty