1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

meda drive/genesis emu

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by big_al_79, Oct 14, 2007.

1. big_al_79

big_al_79 Member

my best mate says the psp is perfectly suited to run emus like the old mega drive/genesis.

i had a look, and found dgen 1.7, from what i have read or (mis/)interpreted, a psp with firmware 2.71 can run home brews and emus, but i cant find out how to do it.

anyone have a guide or tut on how to do this, i know you can use downgraders and custom firmware, but what i read made it seem like you just put dgen on a memory card and away you go.

2. drakex

drakex Regular member

Its not a 2.71, its a Custom Firmware ... if you are 2.71 you can search google for downgrading 2.80, you will be able to get back to 1.50 and then upgrade to a custom firmware 3.40 OE-A or 3.52 M33-4 are the best Firmwares to play Homebrew as the 3.71 M33-2 has still problems on that level, I hope this helps you understand the differences between FIRMWARES and gives you a general idea on what you need to do.

3. exist4u

exist4u Regular member

all homebrews are running just fine on my 3.71 m33-2

4. big_al_79

big_al_79 Member

aw smeg it all to hell.

thanks, i think i will stick with pgen, upgrade to downgrade to upgrade then regular upgrading at anytime can brick your psp, bollocks to all that stuffing around.

why cant they just make a chip like ps1 and ps2.

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

there is a chip for the psp, but it's hard to install, and is considered useless because of custom firmware. also, we have the universal unbricker now.

6. big_al_79

big_al_79 Member

i read somewhere that you need 2 psp to install custom firmware or to unbrick.

so how hard is it to install custom firmware.

i mean, i am no over moral tosser, i had my ps1 chipped, and ps2 is chipped, but bricking something that i just got, and which was a bonus/gift for signing a 2 year phone deal, is rather off putting.

7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

installing custom firmware is nothing. if you follow the instructions provided in the files, then bricking is very slim.

depending on your firmware, you might not need the second psp. if it's 3.50 or below, then it's possible to do it yourself. anything 3.51 or higher will need the second psp running custom firmware

8. big_al_79

big_al_79 Member

well it was 2.01 when i got it, then i went to play medievil and it said i needed to upgrade to 2.71.

i assume i can find the info for updating on here, when i get a bigger memory card, and my usb cable arrives.

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

stay on 2.71. you only need to download a downgrader.

go HERE and you'll find all the guides you need.

10. big_al_79

big_al_79 Member

well doesnt seem to hard to downgrade, dont know about upgrading though.

guess if it bricks there options to fix it.