1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Compatibility with Sony DRU-510A Drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rsinal, Dec 9, 2003.

1. rsinal

rsinal Member

I don't know if anyone runs into the same problem as I do but, I seem to have compatibility issues with my drive. In regards, I am unable to use Princo Branded DVD-R/RW on my drive. Using nero 6.0 I get an error Message say "Power Calibration Error". Even when using other Burning Programs I run into the same problem of the Drive rejecting the Disc. I have always ensure my drive has the lastest firmware updates, (currently its 1.0d). Can anyone help me out?

2. mindflyer

mindflyer Member

I recently purchased 2 sony 510-A drives for different computers, and luckily both seem to behave identically regarding blank media. When I try to use Digital Matrix 4x DVD+R I never get a successful burn at 4x - EVER! When I use HQ DVD-R at 4x, I occasionally get a good burn. When I use Memorex 4x DVD-R, or Memorex 4x DVD-RW, I ALWAYS get PERFECT burns at 4x (video plays in all of my PCs and all of my standalone video DVD players. With the HQ discs, I never get an error message, but the finished disc may or may not be playable. The Digital Matrix often returns an error message (though not the same one you are getting), but just as often I get no message - just NO USABLE DISC! My copy and authoring software allows me to select write speed, and if I slow both the HQ and the DM down to 2x, then I get pretty reliable burns. But since many DVD backup programs don't allow you to select a write speed, I just end up wasting a disc.

BTW - Both the HQ and the Digital Matrix came from Meritline. After reading some of the mesage boards, it seems no one is happy with the Digital Matrix, and Princo in general seems to cause a lot of grief. I have avoided Princo since reading so many bad posts, and wish I had never bought the Digital Matrix. Also, Best Buy has been selling the Memorex 4x media for $1.20 in spindles of 50, which is as cheap or cheaper than many of the off-brands of the same speed sold by Meritline and others.

Hope this is useful

3. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

I can use princo discs, (Datawrite Classic and Datawrite Red V2)
    BUT they will only burn at a maximum of 2.4x even though nero reports its burning at 4x

4. Matador

Matador Regular member

I uses FUJI 2x DVD-R media and I get perfect burns.....
    I All so bought Ritek G04 and I burn them @ 4x and Still get perfect results...

IF you trying to read from dvd and cd try using that drive with DSS from Sony..I got my Drive to read/rip dvds @ 11x

5. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, go to www.dvdrhelp.com They have sections on burner drive and media compatability. Section listing media and manufacturer. Media compatability on stand alone players. Owner comments and complaints. Another good site like Afterdawn for help. Jerry

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  7. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Ok this sucks, after patching the first disc burnt at 4x, but everything afterwards is back to a crawling 2x

8. maxin

maxin Member

I'm experienced several problems with both the 510-A and the 510-UK drives. Some cheap and "swiss made" branded media raise read-errors once burned.

I got expensive meida, a TDK DVD-RW 2x certified and the first write test was right. A friend return me this media with data using a DRU-500 drive. My unit (510UK) is unable to erase it and the previous unit (510A) enters a dead-lock and cannot read it. I tested this media on DVD-ROM read drives and works fine! As reported no this forum a "power calibration error" is raised and right now it simple "does not recognize the disk", "may be scratched". False it is perfectly fine. I think there are several power calibration errors on 510.* units and I'm expecting a firmware update to solve these problems. So strange previous units DRU-500A working fine and 510 fails. May be a complot to force us use DVD+R format?

A message to "mindflyer": " ... or Memorex 4x DVD-RW, I ALWAYS get PERFECT ... ". In my humble opinion: DVD-RW 4x certified media does not exist and both DRU-500 and DRU-510 units does not officially support DVD-RW 4x speed, neither the new one DRU-530.

9. mindflyer

mindflyer Member

maxin-

Thanks for pointing out my error. I am actually using Philips DVD+RW 4x media. when I composed the original reply ot rsinal I was looking at a batch of older Memorex DVD-RW (no speed certification) for use with my old Piioneer A03. As I said in my original post, the Philips 4x DVD+RW has been performing beautifully.

BTW - When I use DSS in 'Silent Mode' to slow the burn speed down to 2.4x, the Digital Research media works every time. No more coasters, but still a disappointing investment.

Oh, Best Buy has Memorex 4x DVD+R and DVD-R discs on sale for $1.00 each in spindles of 50 this week. FYI.

10. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

"BTW - When I use DSS in 'Silent Mode' to slow the burn speed down to 2.4x, the Digital Research media works every time. No more coasters, but still a disappointing investment"

I thought DSS had NO EFFECT on burning speeds.
    I read that all it does is bypass some sort of speed restriction put on the drives, allowing ripping of DVDs at up to 12X instead of 1/2X

11. rsinal

rsinal Member

Thanks guys for helping me out. I found out a way for me to use Princo branded disc. By using DSS, I adjusted my drive to operate at Silent mode, thus reducing the burning speed of the disc. This is the only way to do it. Reducing the speed in Nero without first running DSS will not solve the problem.

I reckon its got more to do with Nero the program itself. Sony should identify these problems & have the lastest fixes in their next firmware patch.

Is it true though Princo are out of business now? I know that Emtec (formally BASF) went out of business too recently.

12. mindflyer

mindflyer Member

Hi, Jhen Tsang-

DSS allows you to select one of three modes - Silent, Automatic, Overdrive. The specific mode you select affects read and/or write speeds in various combinations for CD and DVD media. There is a PDF file Instruction file on the Sony web site which explains the effects of each mode. Reading the file is the only way to know what the utility will do, since I don't think the DSS utility shows this info once it's running.

13. maxin

maxin Member

Hi,

My tests includes: Alcohol 120%, Nero 5.10.28, Nero 6.0.0.x, Nero 6.3.0.0, RecordNow DX 4.62 and media: DVD-R Sky Media 2x, DVD-R TDK 4x, DVD-RW TDK 2x, DVD+RW TDK 4x, DVD-R Verbatim 4x, DVD-R Princo 4x, DVD-RW Imation 1x, DVD-R LG 4x, DVD-R EMTEC 4x.

My experience starts on September 2003, and here are my conclusions about DRU-510A:
    1.- Nero does not perform well. Standalone give write errors, with Veritas installed use its DLLs and seems to work fine ... some write-errors appear at random but I realized some DVD-R successfully written now give me read-errors (redundant cyclic error). I also detected this problem once on a CD-RW with Nero.
    2.- I recommend to use "only" Sony bundled software (Veritas - RecordNow DX).
    3.- After testing diferent media:
    a) I choose certified/trusted media.
    b) On the expensive arena I'd prefer TDK and Verbatim (tested). I also trust on Samsung, Sony and Traxdata, but not tested yet.
    c) On the cheap arena I only trust on Princo ... till today no problem.
    d) Problematic: Sky Media and LG (when init/finalize discs). Errors during finalization are not critical (try to close disc twice?).

I'm on Europe, media tested bought on Spain and the DRU-510A comes from France.

14. Phi

Phi Member

Hi,
    I wonder if you or someone can tell me where to buy TDK DVD+RW /Philip DVD+RW 4x / Sony DVD+RW 4x media for this Sony DRU-510A? I've checked lots of website and they only have Ritek DVD+RW 4x. Order 10 packs, but don't get good results after burning them at 4x and 2.4x. ( sony player 715 refused to play? )the burner is updated with 1.0f which is the latest firmware from sony. Just found out Memorex DVD+RW 4x at Circuit City, but not too sure if it works. Sony web-site only recommends 3 brands: Sony, Verbatim, and Ricoh. I wonder if these companies make DVD+RW 4X? Any help is appreciated!

15. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Hi i wouldnt worry too much about only using media that sony recomends
    The fact that your player refuses to play the media is probably because it can not handle RW media.

16. Phi

Phi Member

My Sony DVP-NS715P is capable to play both + and - formats that includes the RW as well. Regardless, I'll appreciate if you can tell me where to get one of those name branded 4X DVD+RW discs.

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I use dvdx platinum for dvds and nero for cds. I have found that Packard bell DVD-R & DVD+R (Not tried RW yet, no need at the moment) give me 99.99% success rate. I guess it depends whst you want your burner to do, I just back up my movies. I have discovered that if you buy cheap you will end up buying twice! You just have to experiment with media for your system
    & find the one that works for you. Welcome to the -at times - frustrating world of dvd burning!

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

By the way, some software installed in your PC can & will corrupt the burning process.

19. radiofree

radiofree Member

Hi Phi -
    I had some similar issues with media playing in my standalone. I have the Sony POS DVD player from 3 years ago (DVP-S360)and it is cheap and clunky. there are some great web sites out there comparing dvd players with dvd media. Example: my drive will support all media from CD to DVD+/- and R/RW, but only VCD's will play from CD-RW only and not CD-R, DVD-R will play but not handle chapter transitions with some software, and DVD+R/RW seems great on all counts. To complicate it, the manufacturer of the media does matter too. In fact, sony media doesn't work too well on my Sony player even after being burned in my Sony drive. Go figure. I actually use the cheapest DVD+R 4x media I can find from shop4tech on the web ($0.99 each for a spindle of 25). That online store is good because they list compatible players for all their media - and they will let you know if you need firmware upgrades to use that specific media. Check it out if you still have problems, forget the chain stores, too expensive when you can get free shipping at some places online. Just my two-cents (or 99-cents if you please)