1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Detection Error on Spruce Up, help.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jeffxjet, Aug 9, 2002.

1. jeffxjet

jeffxjet Member

I'm using Spruce up and smart ripper to create my own demo dvd and i got it all working so far except for a few movies. I've gotten Toy Story 2, Matrix, Monsters Inc and Gladiator to work. After ripping and demuxing the chapters from Phantom Menace, U571, Haunting and Pearl Harbor, I try to import the m2v file into Spruce up. It takes the m2v file ok but gives me a Media Detection Error when it loads the same AC3 file. I have the file names the same and i do everything the same for the movies that work and the ones that don't. I'm stumped, does anyone know how to correct this?

I'm dying here, any help would be much appreciated.

2. dalboy

dalboy Member

Don't know if this is the same problem, I had a message saying that Spruceup would not accept AC3 files in Trial Version. Don't know what version you are using but if you had the same problem as this I would suggest upgrading to full product

3. jeffxjet

jeffxjet Member

I am using the full version, I got it squared away though. I use DVD2AVI to demux the ac3 stream and then input that into SpruceUp with the m2v file. The ac3 demuxed with SmartRipper or VOBEdit did not work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2002
  4. ucmaddoc

ucmaddoc Member

I get the same error on occasions with spruceup. We were soldiers and High Crimes are examples. I am able to fix the .ac3 file by using a little program called ac3fix.exe. The problem is that there is a resultant sync problem. I am able to coorect this using a program called ac3 delay correction, but what a pain in the butt!!!! I have'nt tried demuxing ac3 with DVD2AVI but will now. I have posted this question before and don't seem to be getting any suggestions.

In summary: WinXP, rip with smartripper (if DVD-9 I rip to two different folders) and Demux. I then use spruceup (full) and import m2v file, it auto pulls in ac3 file. After that, it is a breeze.

5. jmorton10

jmorton10 Guest

>It takes the m2v file ok but gives me a Media Detection Error when it loads the same AC3 file

I have exactly the same problem with some rips.

>I use DVD2AVI to demux the ac3 stream and then input that into SpruceUp with the m2v file

I can't figure out how to do this, could you explain the procedure please??

TIA,
    -John

6. allmysoul

allmysoul Member

I have encountered the exact same problem. My question is does DVD2AVI provide 5.1 sound? And where can I get ac2delay and ac3fix?

7. ucmaddoc

ucmaddoc Member

The media detection error occurs (I think) because the second .ac3 file loses it's header information. I use a program called ac3fix.exe to simply redo the original demuxed .ac3 file. This new file works fine. However, the resultant .ac3 file seems to alway have too much delay and is out of sync with m2v. Secondly, I take the new .ac3 file I created and give it a delay with a program called Ac3 delay correction.exe. This is trial and error, but it usually seems to be around -150 ms. (I reduce delay). You have to exit from spuceup on each try but it seems to save the .m2v file and therefore loads the new .ac3 file very quickly. Both of these programs can be downloaded from www.doom9.org/software/. My way works, every time, but as you can see, it is a little time consuming. How much is time worth? Hope this helps.

8. ucmaddoc

ucmaddoc Member

Correction, ac3 delay correction.exe can be found on www.doom9.org. Click on downloads and then click on software. Ac3fix.exe can be found at http://www.pc-magazin.de/common/dtt/area.php3?areaid=41. Also, either of these programs can easily be found by simply searching with google. Good luck.

9. jmorton10

jmorton10 Guest

When I get this error, I go back & use DVD>AVI to demux just the ac3 stream & then import that to Spruceup. So far, that has worked everytime.

-John