1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media not present when try burning dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cabledog, Jan 23, 2005.

1. cabledog

cabledog Guest

I have a couple of questions some may seem really dumb so bare with me.

1) I did dvd shrink and then dvd decrypter but when I put my DVD-R in my burner is says media not present. What gives?

I can put a CD-RW in and it will try and copy but file size is too big. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have to copy to DVD-r and not CD-RW's

My burner is the latest and does plus and minus double layer. don't know if this makes any difference.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

What brand and model is the burner drive? I'll give you the standard forum question. Have you made sure the firmware is up to date? What brand media are you using, speed and format?

Since you have a DL burner. Did you set up the program to do DL or did you let it compress to fit a 4.7 disc? And no way will it go on a CD RW. With a DVD5 size file, that would be about 4.37GB you're trying to put on a 700MB media.

3. cabledog

cabledog Guest

The burner I have is a Aopen 16X _+ r/rw.
    The disk I used is a liquid video 2x dvd-r 4.7g.
    I did not set the burner to anything. I used decrypter to burn. I have nero it came with the burner but it said I need some software to be able to complete the process.
    I knew the cd rw would not hold much but it would allow it. The instructions I have does not go in to much detail about anything.
    I am trying to read up but still in the dark about much.
    I did have the decrypter check for an update and it said it was fine. ver 3.5.2.0

When I see peeps talk about using nero do they use dvd shrink and then save it to HD then use nero to just burn to dvd? What do you tell nero to look for to burn.

thanks for your thoughts.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

is the box ticked in dvd shrink for nero??
    EDIT<PREFERENCES>FILE I/O
    is your burner recognizing your disc's????..try this
    open up dvd decrypter..put in a blank disc.the infomation should pop up.
    is your burner compatible with dvd-r?
    check this out with NERO INFO TOOL,located in the toolkit

5. cabledog

cabledog Guest

Yes the box was checked for nero.
    I do beleive the disk is being reconized by my burner.It shows it in the log.
    My burner is a r + or - double layer. Does the double layer change things?

6. hursty

hursty Active member

shouldnt do,being dual layer just means your burner is capable of burning dual layer discs

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey cabledog, You have the nero,you can try what I do. I mainly use nero 6.0 and dvd shrink. Set your enable burn with nero box ticked-edit,preferences,File I/O tab.While you are on the edit,preferences tab,set your target size from dvd-5 to custom,enter 4300 mbs,and hit ok.If you are doing dual layer then leave it on dvd-9.If doing regular dvd-5 discs,use the 4300 mbs target size under custom.This will keep the outside edge of disc from being burned.Some issues can occur on poor media and this helps out,especially in stand alone players that will be playing them.

I never heard of liquid video media.

Now you got your preferences set in dvd shrink, insert original dvd in dvd-rom/burner. Close out any players that come on. Open up dvd shrink and let the movie quickly analyze.Reauthor the movie or keep it whole and make sure dvd shrink auto-compresses it.After you made your choice,click the backup tab.

These are the backup options,If you are like me and copying your backup right away and not just for the hard drive now and burn later:

Click on "Select backup target" and highlight burn with nero-your burner model and # will appear-create iso file, then you will see a black check mark here.You have a couple options here to either place the files on hardrive to burn later,or burn iso with dvd decrypter, Make sure your burner model is displayed for "select backup target". The line under that is where those files will be placed after the encoding to be used for another copy if desired.

Also set your burn speed here,4x is par for most members.Tick the enhancements if you want, then hit OK, process started,original disc spits out after the encoding and insert empty dvdr disc.

I use those 2 programs on 99% of my backups. I use dvd decrypter on the problematic encryptions.Decrypter is quicker on those dvd-5 backups but the larger dvd-9,you still have to use dvd shrink so I usually stick to shrink and nero.

Good Luck