1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Player Codecs..

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by ranger2, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ranger2

ranger2 Member

Hello,

My problem is Windows Media Player 10 installed on my PC can't play many formats, although I have good codec packages installed.
    It can't play some avi files and almost no mpg files.

So, for example I have K-Lite package installed, and if I want to play a file with Media PLayer Classic (included in this package), it can play it without any problem.
    Again, the same situation with Mega Codecs Pack. Other players too, can play almost all files without a problem (like Nero Show Time, etc)

But I need to play all files with WMP10, which I want to be the default player.

I downloaded all codecs indicated by Microsoft, but no result. Also, sometimes it connects to the internet for "Aquiring Codec", and after that it may play only the sound, witout image.

So my question is, how can I make WMP10 use the proper codec already installed, for each file I play?
    In other words, how can I indicate to WMP10 where to find the codecs installed by the codec packages?

Any ideas?

2. Dakness

Dakness Member

have you ever tried DIVX?
    It is the only one i know that make my windows media player play every tipe of file like mpg4, mpg, avi and much more. Just go to DIVX and download the free version it will help you. If you still have the problem we will check another options :).
    Hope it helps.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Edited after being moved from the Nero forum. Thans Neph!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. Dakness

Dakness Member

w/ nero nothing, but you said that your problem was getting the codecs for ur windows media player. it is the best way of getting all kind of files to be play in windows.

5. ranger2

ranger2 Member

Is there any better topic forum for this matter..?

6. Dakness

Dakness Member

i really dont know, cuz im also new in this site i was asking about opening ports. Anyway it seems like it wasnt what u were looking for so good luck finding out whatever it is u were looking for :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Good codec packages? There are no good ones, especially not when you are installing multiple ones.

Media Player Classic has some internal filters including avi and mpeg splitters, other than them though it only has access to the same direct show filters as any other dshow based app (including WMP). In fact other than the video renderer unless you have set over rides it should end up rendering the same graph.

Sounds like you have screwed up the default filters that come with windows. Try re-registering quartz.dll, this will re-register MS' avi splitter, mpeg splitter, etc.

9. ranger2

ranger2 Member

I think the codecs are registered, since Media Player Classic can play files. I can't figure out why WMP11 can't play them...

10. Nephilim

Knowledge Base didn't have anything?

11. ranger2

ranger2 Member

nope...
    It seems that it is natural for WMP to play any kind of file, if the codecs are installed. However, in my case it just doesn't work and I keep wondering why...

12. Nephilim

That's really strange because I use WMP10 too and haven't had a single hitch among all the various formats I have. Are you by chance using Vista?

13. ranger2

ranger2 Member

No, I'm using XP.

14. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you read what I said above; MPC includes some built in filters. Only it has access to these.

If MPC can play something that WMP can't, it is reasonable to assume that it is due to the built in filters. I mentioned the avi and mpeg splitters since these are filters that windows comes with its own version of, MPC contains its own. The MPEG-1/2 decoder (windows comes with an MPEG-1 decoder, but no MPEG-2) and audio decoder filter (windows comes with an mpeg audio decoder) could also be relevant.

The reason I mentioned these filters is because you said you were having trouble with avi and mpeg playback. Without an avi and mpeg splitter you wouldn't be able to playback avi/mpg's.