1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media question

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by KaiserZr, Mar 5, 2007.

1. KaiserZr

KaiserZr Member

Ok I read on the boards (or at least I think I did) that Maxell makes good disks, so I bought a package of 50 Maxell DVD-R disks to make backups for my ps2 games...I just used DVD Identifier on one of the blank disks, and it came up as ProdiscF02. When looked back at the newbie media guide someone made, I didn't see that as Maxell disk maker.... So my question is did I make a wrong choice on disks?

2. dropkick-

dropkick- Member

For all my movie use, i buy Sony dvd-r. I did start off with maxell though but sometimes the movie would skip..

A lot of people prefer verbatim or Taiyo Yuden But they dont sell those at the stores where i live so i stick to Sony.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.teammodders.com/dvdmedia/
    there is a decent media guide. It is not all about the name brand. Some brands have multiple companies making their DVD's which causes them to be all different qualities. Like your say Maxcell (1st class media if they have a code of MXLRG0x meaning they were actually made by the Maxcell plant in Japan) but when you use a DVD program to find the code they are actually Prodisc which are second class media.

There is only one real way to avoid this that i know of. Buy a brand like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden that are pretty much always the same. Or get your discs from a good online store like Supermediastore.com which will list the media code right on the page where they sell them so you KNOW exactly what your getting. Plus they guarantee all their media to be 100% authentic.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007