1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Speed Naming Conventions

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kwebster, Apr 5, 2004.

1. kwebster

kwebster Member

I notice that in many instances, some blank media will be labled "1x-4x" while other media will be labled simply "4x". Is this just a naming nuance or does it really mean something? Is it that the media labled "1x-4x" means that it can be burned at those various speeds, while those labled "4x" can only be burned at the 4x speed?

I tested DVD archiving on 4x Prodiscs which did not pan out. All five of the discs that I tested failed. The data could not be read from the disc following burning. I next attempted a burn at 2x -- suspecting that perhaps a 4x burn was too much for the disc to handle for DVD backup. The 2x burn produced pretty much the same result. I ran a diag on the failed disc and found in upwards of 321 errors on it. There were more errors I'm sure, but I aborted my diag program before it could complete. This may explain why my 2x burn attempt with the 4x Prodisc failed. I've stated more than once that the Verbatim Datalife discs that I've purchased from Sam's Club work perfectly. But what I forgot to mention was that these discs are 2x -- not 4x. I picked up another 50-pak this weekend and was elated to see that Sam's had begun selling them again. Unfortunately though, the cost comes to about $1.20 a disc -- pretty steep for 2x.

Any thoughts?

2. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

sorry to reply so late. been going thru archives because I want to start buying prodisc from meritline white printables and i'm trying to get feedback before commiting to epson r200 etc. Just fyi, the sams club near me in easton, pa sells Verbatim datalife +r's which are rated 2x. But they also sell Verbatim datalife -r's which are rated 4x (50 for $60). I hate to give up Verbatim but I hate writing on the dvd. Going to try the white printable Prodiscs. Regards

3. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

PennRon,

With regards to ProDisc, I have been using them for a little while now and I am about to buy 200 more. I have had no problems with burn failure or compatibility. I have been using both the white and the silver inkjet printable. You might want to look at Super Media Store (http://supermediastore.com/index.html), their prices on the prodisc look
    a little better than meritline most of the time, and they ship a little faster too.

4. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

I appreciate your input. I have thought about this all morning and as of 2 minutes ago I made this decision. I'll buy the Epson r200 at newegg for $88 delivered and for now 50 verbatim +r white inkjets for $77 delivered. I have a credit at Meritline which I'll put towards 25 Prodisc white printables. My main concern which we cannot check now is the test of time. I would think because of their reputation that the Verbatims will last for years with no problems. The Prodisc's also use the AZO dye so they should also be good but only time will tell. Kinda dumb to do all this work and a few years later nothing works anymore.

I figure that for a few hundred bucks more over the years I'm using one of the best media (Verbatim) that money can buy. Also the Verbatim supposedly print down to the hub according to Newegg. Thanks again. Regards...