1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Storage Question..

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by pchan424, Jan 11, 2005.

1. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Im prety sure this is a good forumn to post this question in. What im wondering is what you people out there think is the best place or method to store your dvd r's and cd'rs. Now what i mean is say i buy a 50 spindle of TY dvd-r's. As im burning and using them what would be the best way for me to store them. Back in a spindle like they came? In one of the little cd cases with the cloth in it? Im asking to get peoples oppinions and also to see if maybe storing them one way could hurt them or make them not last as long. Thanks.

2. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Definitely don't shore them in the spindle that they came in. Jewel cases or cd binders are the best. Just make sure that the cd binders that you buy have a soft surface that is going to be going against the data side of the DVD's. Some cheap ones can actually scratch the data side of the disk. Though I bought some cheap binders at a local compter warehouse store that are great. If there is a discount computer store in your area, try to visit it so you can see the quality of the felt in the binders before you buy them online. Otherwise, just look for the best deal on jewel cases.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

To give you something to go by, I gogt 40 disk binders for 1.47 from my local computer discount store.

5. koaow

koaow Member

6. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I will argue that the spindles are better than CDR binders with CD jewel cases being the best option. Binders are the worst of the options because most likely, they will be laid flat which leads to warping. Soft binders are also vulnerable to getting crushed when you stack things on it. The spindles are great but not convenient for finding your discs. They are laid flat, but usually have a solid base which will not lead to warping. Also, the hard shell of the spindle is nice protection, and there's nothing exposed to sunlight. The only thing that could possibly harm it is constant moving. Any grain of dirt between the discs would cause scratching (the worst thing for DVDs). I say the slim cases is the best because they protect and are convenient for sorting. The only drawback is they still take up more space than a spindle.

8. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Just another suggestion that might not work for everyone but is inexpensive and keeps all the discs organized. I have probably close to 1,000 back-ups, many of which are copies of my old VHS tapes before they started going bad. At first I was using black DVD cases bought on ebay, but I quickly realized that they would take up WAY more room than I have. I had to come up with a system that would (a) fit a few thousand DVDs, which is what I'll probably end up with before the standard changes; (b) fit on bookcase shelves; (c) be easy to set up, organize, and maintain. My "system" consists of paper sleeves, file folder labels, DVD dividers (like the CD dividers you see in record stores -- optional but my collection is so big I definitely needed them), 76-oz. rectangular Ziploc containers -- you don't need the lids (regular plastic shoe boxes that you can get at Wal-Mart would also work, but they're a bit long for my bookcase shelves so I went with the Ziploc containers instead), and bubble wrap. I first cut strips of bubble wrap to fit the bottom inside of the Ziploc containers -- this works PERFECTLY for keeping the DVDs from slipping. The DVDs themselves go in paper sleeves which I label using regular file folder labels (I type all the disc info on the labels, e.g. title, year, type [comedy, drama, mystery, whatever], MPAA rating, length, etc.). I then file the DVDs upright alphabetically in the Ziploc containers and use the dividers wherever appropriate (e.g. I label them alphabetically for movies and with the series name for TV shows). Finally, I label the front of each container with whatever's in it (e.g., "TV shows - The Simpsons to whatever" or "Movies - A, B, C"). Each container will probably hold 125-150 DVDs, and my cheap-o 30"-wide bookcases will hold four containers per shelf, which means that a bookcase with 10 shelves (you'd have to buy extras or make your own) has a capacity of up to 600 DVDs per shelf or 6,000 altogether. Not bad for two and a half linear feet of floor space.

As I said, this won't work for everyone. It's not particularly pretty, but then, these are back-ups so they don't have to be. It has the advantages of huge capacity in small space, pretty inexpensive, good organization, easy to keep up with, etc.

BTW I bought the paper sleeves at shop4tech; the CD dividers at bagsunlimited.com; the Ziploc containers at Wal-Mart; and the file folder labels at Staples. I got the bubble wrap free just by keeping it when I buy DVDs (or whatever) through the mail.

Hope this helps. I like reading what the rest of you are doing too!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  9. pchan424

pchan424 Member

heheh that last one was WAY in depth. I dont think ill ever need to get that technical but it was interesting and i like to see as well. I wanted to thank you all for posting here. I am definately reading everyones ideas and methods. I currently use the little cd binders as well but i heard some rumors of the binders scratching or harming dvd's and cd's which is why i originally started this post. to get many ideas.

10. yeardley

yeardley Member

I was just starting to worry about the same question as I had just bought an el-cheapo disc binder and wasn't sure about the quality of the felt.

I figured I'd buy paper sleeves and suit each disc in one before I put them in the binder, just to be on the safe side. Don't know if this suits your needs.

As far as the binders laying flat leading to disc warping -- I never heard of that and am surprised that a disc laying flat would cause that to happen. Maybe store the binder vertically, like a book on a bookshelf?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I just throw my DVD's in a box!!!!!!! Thumb thru them when i wanna watch a movie.

Yes that was a joke.

I actully have one 200 binder case full plus I have like 200 on spindles.

I was trying to think of a cheap way of storing them. Then I read karen2003's idea. I think I will invest in that system.

In the long run cheaper then buying DVD casses and case inserts or buying a bunch of binders.

Plus it seems like it would be easy to file them so I can easly find a DVD I want.

Thanks for the info karen

12. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Glad it was helpful. I was beginning to think maybe I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too anal ... :)

Actually the "system" probably sounds more complicated than it is. It takes a little bit of time to set it up but then all you have to do is file the DVDs after you watch them. Even messy me can do that.

13. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

$19.95 at bestbuy, a binder holds 208 cd's/dvd's has felt on the page so the disc doesn't scratch, at least it is soft...lol...folds like a school looseleaf book, i too have way too many dvd's needed something to hold them, no more space the wife was ready to throw me and them out. don't have to worry about buying cases, or jewel cases. this is soo neat,.......open it up...thumb thru the pages and pick out what you want.

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have a binder for 200 of my other DVDs but its a pain in the butt to find what you want. You have to search thru the pages. Karen's idea, is idea for somone that has hundreds of DVDs an easy way to file the DVDs so you know right where to go to get it. Where in filling them in a productive way in a binder folder would be more difficult and not as prductive.

15. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

I use those 208 disc binders (mentioned above). I get around the problem of finding a specific disc by using Movie Collector from collectorz.com. I set up an index system that identifies the specific binder, the page number and position on the page where each disc lives. The software can sort your collection (in many ways, such as alpha, genre, etc.) and then print it out so you can browse it when you're in the mood for a movie, then go right to the disc you want with no sifting through tons of discs. Depending on the format you select, you can fit up to 30 or so movies on a pages, so even with a large collection, your "catalog" is manageable.

DF

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Just a question rule 6. says No foul language. But its ok to use dumbf-er as a login name?