1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media tests: Memorex vs. Maxell

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bazilla, Jan 26, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I know vurbal has a sticky thread for posting bad media experiences. But it is getting hard to sort through, thanks to a lot of offtopic postings to it. Plus, this is really a tale of one good media experience vs. a mediocre one. And based what I've read from a lot of postings, I think the results are going to surprise some people. So I hope the forum is okay with this being a new thread.

I was happily using Memorex DVD+R's until I found out that they wouldn't play in one of my dvd players (a Toshiba). As I've posted elsewhere, while labled 4X, these are actually 8X DVD+R's with a PRODISC id. I don't recall any bad burns with these dvd's.

But because I wanted something that would play in my Toshiba, I decided to purchase some DVD-R's. I dutifully researched the postings here, and decided to purchase some Maxell 4X DVD-R "Yellow-tops" with a RITEK manufacturer id.

What a disappointment. Every single Maxell/Ritek I've burned now -- at least half a dozen so far -- have had crc read errors. To try to track down whether it was the media, or something else about my setup, I did the following tests.

1. I have a copy of ET I wanted to back up to dvd. For the first burn, I used Roxio Easy DVD Copy to burn to the Memorex media. I copied the movie only and just one audio track to get the least compression possible. Roxio has no setting like dvd shrink where you can limit the resulting VIDEO_TS to (say) 4300 MB. So Roxio is going to write all the way out to the edge.

Roxio transcoded and wrote out to the "4X" Memorex media at 8X. When the burn was done I checked for crc read errors with dvdinfopro. [bold]Not a one! The burn was perfect.[/bold]

2. For the second test, I used dvd shrink to create the movie only VIDEO_TS file, with Nero burning to the Maxell/Ritek media at 4X. When done I checked for crc read errors with dvdinfopro. [bold]There were 20 sectors that could not be read.[/bold]

3. I wanted to rule out this being a burn engine issue (where the burn settings might have something to do with the quality of the burn), so I used Roxio to write out the VIDEO_TS folder to a Maxell/Ritek dvd at 4X. In this instance, there were [bold]104 crc read errors[/b], but most of them (all but 13) were in the last 0.04GB of data. Keep in mind that this was a burn already limited to 4.2GB by dvd shrink.

These results go against much of what I read around here. First of all, Memorex is routinely put down. And maybe justifiably so, depending on the actual manufacturer. But I'm so impressed with the Memorex DVD+4 PRODISC "4x is actually 8x" that I'm go see if I can find some more, even if I do have a dvd player they will not work in.

On the other hand, I read a number of positive posts about the Maxell/Ritek DVD-R 4X "Yellowtops". That's why I bought them. Every single one of them I've burned so far has errors. I think my tests rule out it being either the burn engine or the dvd burner (a Sony DRU 710A with the latest firmware). It seems specifically to be the media.

That's not to say that the errors are always so bad as to make the media unplayable. Dvd players seem to be pretty forgiving, and will play through (if with pauses or skips) some of these read errors. But when I have the choice of error free burns (Memorex) versus errors with every burn (Maxell), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess which I'm going to use.

2. shark29

shark29 Member

I think most of the problems with Memorex are their -R's made by CMC. I have never had a coaster using Memorex +R's with the CMC media code.

3. neodave

neodave Regular member

Maybe it's just a compatibility issue with your burner.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

How so?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

The 15 pk Maxell dvd-r are mostly coded mxlr-go2. I noticed the ritek code appearing in the 50 bulk pk. I got 2 50 pks as a gift and I haven't had an issue yet. The mxlr-go2 coded are excellent. I ran some of my movies (Maxell-ritek coded) through dvd info pro and found no bad sectors, YET. Its getting hard to get any consistency with all these manufacturers outsourcing.

6. neodave

neodave Regular member

Don't have any personal experience with Sony burners. All mine have been Pioneer thus far. I have read multiple threads about Sony being picky with -R media though. I am a little surprised it doesn't like Maxell/Ritek. Ritek has been my media of choice for a couple years now. I did buy a few of the Maxell yellow tops at Office Depot last week and the -R's were all MXLRG02 identified. Only burn at 4x for me but have been very reliable media.

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

The Maxell's in question are 25 pack, and coded RITEKG04.

I went back to CompUSA today, and picked up a 25 spindle of Memorex DVD-R. These are coded PRODISCS03. The Memorex DVD+R are coded PRODISCR03. Unlike the DVD+R, the DVD-R's are only rated 4X.

I find it interesting that externally, the +R and -R are both labeled 4X and have very similar packaging. But the +R are actually 8X.

IAC, burned the same movie (ET) to one of the Memorex DVD-R, and got a perfect burn, free of crc read errors.

Well, this Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with the Memorex -R. But it definitely has a problem with the Maxell/Ritek's. I'll be returning the unopened spindles tomorrow, and exchanging them for Memorex -R's.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What everyone has to remember is that all manufacturers end up making different grades of media, not by choice. As an example Ritek blanks that do not meet the grade A rating are probably sold off to other companies (perhaps to Maxell). They are still Ritek but not as good as the top end discs. This can happen in all brands. The problem with Memorex these days is you just can't trust them. You never know if they will be Ritek, Verbatim, or junk like from CMC Mag. You never know what you have until you test one. I don't doubt there are some Memorex that will work great, but will the next batch work the same or end up as coasters. I still use Ritek only blanks. I don't even buy their other branded discs like Ridata. Just another one of my opinions.

Jerry

9. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Jerry, (FYI, your signature image doesn't display)

What you say makes sense. The Memorex I have are working for me, and I'll keep them. The Maxell/Ritek are going back to Office Depot. Will I buy more Memorex in the future? I don't know. I've ordered some Taiyo Yuden online -- cannot seem to find them in the brick and mortar chains -- because everyone seems to think they are the best. And if they work out, I'll probably stick with them, as I'm willing to pay a premium for the best.

But I think it is only fair to Memorex to post the good experiences along with the bad. Maybe they learned from experience, and will never use CMC Mag again.

Since the big "brand names" seem to switch manufacturers around a lot, I do wish it were easier to know who the manufacturer is, like at the store before buying them. But failing that, the next best thing is a forum like this where experiences can be shared.

So, if anyone cares, the current lot of Memorex at CompUSA, both DVD-R and DVD+R, are PRODISC, and I'm getting flawless burns with them. And while I don't know if it makes a difference (I suppose Memorex might use the same UPC for lots from different manufacturers) the UPC's are:

DVD-R: 34707 05552
    DVD+R: 34707 05571

Caveat emptor.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Right click the box in my sig and then click view image. It should show. My own computer shuts it off some times usually after an update of some sort. I get that on other sigs too at times. Its still there, Thanks.

Jerry