1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member promotion mechanism is under construction

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

cincyrob
    Your questions and interaction on the forum may lead to help for [bold]Low Post Count Members[/bold] and others. So your posts in the help threads are valid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2006
  2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

The newby title never bothered me because by rights I'm still a newby to computers and this is the only forum I belong to. I don't care about a title and come here to learn and enjoy the comraderie and relax {since I'm 1 of 3 males amidst 80 women at work].My 2 cents Chris

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

3 men to 80 women i like those odd's..lol

im just glad there is a site like this. cause if there wasnt i think(i know) i would have screwed something major up on my computer with out all the great info and help i have gotten here, so if someone wants there ranking higher they can have mine and ill just be happy with the info i get and the lauchs now and then from the good people i meet on the way of bunring the perfect burn.....

4. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

The term "Short Timer" takes me back to 'Nam days.

Short Timer = some one with a little time (less than 30 days) before they get to go home.

I know, I'm showing my age!

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep, either gray or turning gray by now. That was well back in the last century. ;) Didn't they have something called an 8-Track back then and computers were about as big as a house and a couple of teminals filled a room? I saw a historical piece on the History Channel and there were guys wondering around with white coats on and carrying big tape reels under their arms. They even had things called slide rules. I'm still wondering what good a ruler is that slides. ;)

6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Ah. Dolphin2 you tookme back in time remembering being a 2 digit midget and the longest single didget midget to get out. Cincyrob alls not what it seems I'm a maintenance supervisor and it;s like having 80 wifes with the honey do lists and all the headaches. Sorry went off track on this forum but you gotta blame dolphin2 for rattling the ole brain and California dreamin on those 8 Tracks. Time for a Ireland cup of coffee. Have agreat day. Chris

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i wasnt in nam(was still in the womb then)sorry dolphin2. i have all the respect for you nam vets. my hats off to you all. but i do remember 3days and a wake up. best phrase yet..lol i think we all are on the wrong forum here now sorry, but every now and then its fun to joke around

8. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Lots of good points have been brought up here.

One method I have always liked on other websites is the "did you find this information useful?" function which I have yet to see being used on an online forum for this context.

Basically, a user can click either yes or no in response to the above question and the results compile in the database or a seperate table which can then be used to rank a user.

If you wanted to take it even further, instead, a user could rate a post as being of a high quality or very useful. (like on a 1 to 5 scale or similar)

I guess one of the problems is that not everyone can be expected to rate posts and some good posters could remain "unpromoted" for some time.

Just a suggestion.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Which goes to show that most any system is going to be flawed. Most of those who are going to help will do so irregardless of rankings, and those who find rankings important often have a personal agenda not related to helping others. No need to go into psych profiles and petty politics, most of us have seen what happens. A person saying thank you means more than a title under a fictitious name. Personally I think a lot of people should lighten up on the titles and rankings and pay more attention to the interaction with other members and trying to make things more pleasant for all involved. Granted, we'll probably always be plagued by some basket cases, but that's what the mod's are here for.

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Sorry about going off topic. Just to many memories.

11. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

@ Brobear

... And I totally agree with you. Too much importance is given to titles in this world and it really should be all about helping others.

However, since such rankings apparently have to be used in the present case, I was merely suggesting a rank promotion system that would, to a certain extent, represent one's ability or willingness to help others in this forum environment.

You're totally right though, a sincere "thank you" just demonstrates it so much better. :)

12. brobear

brobear Guest

I wasn't disagreeing with you on your ranking system. One is needed, just there's no perfect solutions, as you pointed out. Just goes to show that dRD's decision to implement an automatic system is about as good as any at this point. I'd like to see it set up where all members become Afterdawn Addicts after 10 days or 10 posts, whichever comes last. LOL Plus they would have to prove they read the rules and can use the Search function. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2006
  13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Heck, most of us are addicted to AD 10 minutes after we find it. Sincerely member status isn't really important to me, I agree that we change from a post count to a simple member since {insert date here}... system. I my humble opinion I feel most AD members spend most of their time lurking and learning (wish I could remember who said that first) Thus, if the post count was removed, the newbies wouldn't be posting in every direction on every thread just to get to Member Status. Heck I see a lot of newbies posts and Junior Member post which originate from people who have been ripping/burning CD/DVD's for years and have far more knowledge than I will ever have, conversly, I see some Addicts who argue with DocTY and Brobear about bad media not being an issue with playback problems.

14. flyingv

flyingv Guest

Excellent point!!! I was hooked the first time I sat down to look at the site. Great place to learn and find information I use everyday!!! Thanks Afterdawn and to all those who have taken the time the post their information out there!!!

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well anyone that argues bad media with docTY and brobear shouldnt be a member. thats just my view. all the addicts here have there own speaciality( and spelling isnt mine) and each one has helped in there prefered feild with great knowledge and i am more than thankful they are here. i have run across a few who think they know what they are talking about and i get a total different response for the people i know they know what they are talking about and media is not somthing you argue about with these guys......

@brobear.
    i think you are a computer genius myself your in the bill gates rhelm.i might need your help soon trying to talk the wife into letting me build my own puter.(oh did i just say that) im wanting duel core stuffetc.... will need some good insight

well thats my promotion point for the day... just ranting guys

Congrats lethalB on your new staff status

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  16. flyingv

flyingv Guest

cincyrob,
    As a "short-timer", I'd have to agree with you with all but 1 point, Brobear is probally Better than Bill Gates from what I have read on his posts!!! "Bill" is a puppet. Brobear is more than an idealist, he gets into the trenches and works out his own problems where "Bill" hires a team of experts to do it for him!!! You can do that when you are the richest man on the planet and take the credit for it!!! Thanks Brobear!!! I have to give credit where it is due!!!

17. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, cincyrob :)

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks guys, with all the flattery I'll have to remember to be humble; but I'd like to have Bill's money. LOL

cincyrob
    Check out this thread. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/138/235934#2005460 We can be talked into discussing PCs and custom builds on occasion. There's some members on there that make what little I know look even smaller.

19. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

I'm okay with the newbie title but i got over 500 post its not going to kill me the site has save me a lot of troble & heart ache.A title is the lease i could worry about.

20. shadow270

shadow270 Guest

i dont wana be a newbie for ever....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.