1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member promotion mechanism is under construction

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DakSurf

DakSurf Member

Neither do I... it's kind of like being stuck in limbo. Why not just remove the levels except for staff?

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Remember guys, newbie is just a state of mind.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is that kinda like "a country state of mind"?lol

4. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Too many individuals consider the title too important. I have found that quality of posts allways is more inportant then quanity. of posts.

For those that need a title. There can be two simple ones "Active or Inactive"

5. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, some [good] newbies only make enquiries on upgrades because of the three minutes between each post rule.

As ddp says, "teach & learn"; because status aside, that's what it's all about..

6. brobear

brobear Guest

I agree. Some people act as though they were born with the knowledge they have and lord it over others. All of us started with a blank slate when it comes to PCs. We all had to learn, though the process is easier for some than others. I've learned a lot by listening and paying attention. Everything I pass on, I learned from someone else, either by instruction or reading (someone had to write the text). So, learn and pass it on is what it's all about, not titles that flatter the ego. ddp is right, a person can learn by teaching, but on the other hand, they should have learned something before trying to teach. ;)

7. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Yeah, we shouldn't get too hung up on rank here. Although rank is important in the real world, it doesn't really apply to who you are here, it just states that you're new to one place floating around a vast space of electronic signals. To think that just that has much relevence to you somewhat shows your character outside of this realm.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Rikoshay
    You nailed it. ;)

9. NavyRet

NavyRet Member

I'm not complaining about being a "newbie", I just want to make an observation. It seems that the vast majority of the people who think rank doesn't matter are those who already have a rank higher than newbie. No offense intended here, just stating what to me is obvious. Personally, though, I wouldn't care if I were a "newbie" with 500 posts. The only thing that bothers me is that dang 3 minute wait, but c'est la vie.

10. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, you know, if I really wanted to, I could have been a Senior Member or an Addict a long time ago, but I'd like to stay as a Member a little while longer. I feel I could learn a lot more on other parts of the forum before taking that step.

Also, it is unfortunate that you have to wait 3 mins before your next post, but because people are in a rush to get out of Newbie, are rude, or just don't read the rules in general, everybody else is affected by that. The people you can blame the most for that are your fellow peers.

11. NavyRet

NavyRet Member

No, I don't "blame" anyone. It's just one of those things. That's one of the rules here and so be it. I just wish it didn't have to be that way, but I do understand.

As for continuing to learn on other parts of the forum, there probably isn't a member here who can't learn something new almost every day. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

12. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

That's true. I only wish I could move through the forums and look up on all the areas, but I can't find the time to look through it all.

13. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I became a junior not even caring because everyday here on the forums I know I'm a newby with the wealth of information every one else has.Including that morning cup of coffee with Ireland along with a smoke Chris

14. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Alright, the member promotion thingy works now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.