1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex 4X, all discs unreadable?!?!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Tincan, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Tincan

Tincan Member

I purchased a pack of 100 Memorex 4X professional DVD-R discs from UK, but they've proved to be a source of frustration.

Pioneer DVR-105 doesn't recognise the disc properly, the disc keeps spinning like mad but doesn't show up in any media info utility.

Toshiba 6112 kicks out the disc right after insertion.

Nec 1300 reads the disc (Media ID shows SMC as manufacturer), but doesn't even begin the burn process.

What the heck is going on?? I've tried all kinds of no-name brands, but never have I encountered a batch of discs that all seem to be totally unreadable!

I ordered these from overseas and sending them back means an extra cost as well. I contacted Memorex, but have had no response yet. Has anyone heard about this? Are there batches of Memorex 4X going round that are this fooked up?

I know for a fact that loads of people are using these discs with their DVR-105 with no problems.

2. Tincan

Tincan Member

Sorry, manufacturer is CMC MAG...

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Tincan, CMC MAG makes disc for many companies. However
    they are one of the companies that make poor quality blank media. Your Memorex blanks are probably -R media. Memorex +R media is usually made by Ricoh(Ritek). If at all possible, I would try to return them or get some type of credit. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.
    Jerry

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

I had weird problems with Memorex DVD-R 4x. When I first got my burner (NEC 1300) a friend gave me one to try. It was fine so I bought another 20. They came in cellophane-sealed cake boxes of 10 and were all perfect. I was so pleased that I'd found a disc that worked for me so I ordered another 50 from a different supplier. These arrived in cake boxes of 10 but were not sealed. Also, one of the Memorex circular card inserts was missing and 4 discs were physically marked. I just assumed that the supplier probably got them in a much larger quantity and simply made up their own boxes, or that these were somebody else's rejects. Anyway, not one of these discs could be recognised by the NEC. I still had a few of the originals and these continued to work fine. I even ran both discs through DVD identifier and the output was the same (CMC MAG I believe). In the end I returned them for a refund. I still don't understand why they never worked but I was suspicious by the packaging.

5. Tincan

Tincan Member

Well, the testing is now over, and the verdict is out.

This batch of Memorex 4X DVD-R is a pile of crap. Tried 5 different burners, all with the most recent firmware, and none of the drives was able to burn one of these babies.

A word of warning, be very careful when you buy Memorex CMC MAG AF1 discs! You just might get a similar batch...

I purchased 100 coasters (have only tested about 30 discs, though) and will NEVER buy Memorex DVD-R again. Btw, these came in tubs of 10. Sending them back where they came from.

T.

6. ricster

ricster Regular member

Same here. I will never buy them again. I only buy Ritek G04's now. Not had any problems with these.

7. proftiti

proftiti Guest

hi
    i've got the same problem !
    250 dvd-r memorex (10 pack) bought at digitalpromo.co.uk
    I live in France so It's very complicated for me to send all bad dvd's. I tryed to call memorex France but they don't want to make an exchange. They saied " return to sender"
    :(

8. ricster

ricster Regular member

Very interesting. Mine came from Digital Promotions too. In fairness to them they gave me a fast full refund, but I had to pay for postage.

9. Tincan

Tincan Member

Now this is REALLY interesting...my batch is from DigitalPromo as well...the sad thing is that the buyer has to pay for the postage cost, although it's basically bad media. I contacted Memorex as well, and the reply was "contact the buyer".

This is NOT how it's supposed to be, and as it seems that there is a larger entity of bad Memorex going round, I will surely contact Memorex Europe again. What I'm looking for is a valid e-mail address, not just the feedback form on their webpage. The reply based on the form was a semi-automatic message containing the "check your hardware" kinda BS, nothing specific and certainly nothing referring to the fact that the media itself could be bad.

Very interesting indeed...

10. Tincan

Tincan Member

Made a mistake in the heat of the moment; contact the SELLER that is...

11. ricster

ricster Regular member

I had no idea this was a common problem. I did pose the question in these forums a while ago but had little response. If the media is faulty then you're right - you shouldn't have to pay the postage. I had assumed that it was some kind of weird compatibility issue.

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, Sorry to see so many having the same problems. Here is a good site to check blank media by Name and who made it. It should help some of you from getting stuck again.

www.dvdrhelp.com

They have listings on media, media and burner compatibility and comments from other users. Hope this helps for future reference. I stick with Ritek media and haven't had a problem since I switched. At usually less than a $1 each its worth the cost not to have the problems. Good luck to all.
    Jerry

13. Tincan

Tincan Member

The thing is, I've been using dvdrhelp for a long time now to check the media compatibility. These Memorex discs are supposed to work ok with Pioneer DVR-105, that's the point.

It has the same media ID, it looks similar. Propably this batch is just screwed up, a pile of shiny beer mats. What's funny, Memorex Europe, the company, seems to take no responsibility in this doohiki. Return them to the retailer, is the answer.

Go figure. The customer gets screwed AND pays the extra costs of sending the discs back. Hooray. You can be sure no Memorex media touches my computer desk from this day on, that much I've learned.

Z.

14. surfmike

surfmike Member

I agree, Memorex DVD-R, and DVD+RW are not good. I forked out money for these. I thought it was a hardware issue. I got some really cheap dvd-r at comp usa. 10 for 3.99 with cases. The problem is solved. I still dont know what to do with the 20 Memorex coasters, I could sell them on ebay as used golf ball frisbes.

15. ricster

ricster Regular member

Tincan is right. This disk is supposed to be compatible. I've used another batch with total success. That is the strange thing. The media codes are identical but the second batch seems defective. I can only assume that the suppliers will eventually return them to the manufacturer. That's a poor show from Memorex. You'd think they would show some concern since their name is on the product.

16. rgm

rgm Member

Hello... maybe my problem is related to yours...
    I have an iMac 800 15" with the first superdrive that came out. I was able to rip DVD's perfectly and I burned about five. They all read fine. The next four that I burn would give me an error after burning them and playing them. The apple dvd player would say that the disk was scratched or dirty. Last night I tried one of the dvd's that had burned succesfully and as I was falling asleep the error came up. The weird thing is that all of these disks are Memorex DVD-R 4x bought in the USA.
    PS: i also had a problem with a Maxell disk where the same error showed up after burning.

17. DJFAST

DJFAST Member

Well i must say that Memorex must use a lot of diff source's to make there DVD-R as i purchased 100 of them thinking what a deal from Staples $9.98 w/case 10 packs frist 6 had no prob. Then Hell broke lose they would record fine it's just the play back 45min in to the movie starts frezzin then stops playing the movie so i down loaded DVDinfoPro ran media test the box that i had made with no prob read as ProDiscSCG02. Open a diff box it reads Media as CMC MAG AF1.So i new the movie was good as i ck it of hard drive played fine.Went out and purchased a 10 pack od Fuji DVD-R same movie that was giving prob.worked great i have found unless it says right on the box made in Japan i am not buying them as you should ck as i was going to buy the 100 pack untill i read made in Taiwan. Now this was Fuji Media the 10 pack said made in Japan.So make sure it say made in Japan & For the Memorex took them back for return of my money i don't need any more coasters. I will only buy Fuji or Ritek say with theses brands and save your self a LOT of Headaces

18. brent1a

brent1a Member

I read up on media before I bought my drive and spent many hours deciding which discs to get. I have the Plextor PX-708A and I've been using Memorex DVD+R's manufactured by both CMC MAG and Ricoh. My first 25 were CMC MAG and I thought I had wasted my money too. I fugured 2 major things tho' 1. My drive doesn't support 8x varirec burning for a lot of discs yet and 2. You can't burn a disc to it's max. I use AutoShrink with DVD Shrink and I have my Shrink pre-set amount set to 4205MB Apparently a lot of dvd players have serious trouble reading all the way to the edge of a burnt DVD. So it took 5 coasters and I haven't had any since and I've burned at least 50 Memorex DVD+R's. They're fine, IMO, you just have to know how to sweet talk 'em!

19. ricster

ricster Regular member

Brent1a - I don't know about the +R's - this is all about the -R's. No manner of sweet talking will make this defective batch respond. The point is this - I sat at my machine with 2 cake boxes of identical looking media with identical headers. I took a disc from the good batch and burned it. I took a disc from the second batch and it was not recognised. I went back to the first batch and it was fine. Not one of the second batch worked. I repeated this many times. Personally, I will not touch them again simply because I cannot take the risk.

20. Tincan

Tincan Member

Once more I will back up what Ricster tries to put forth; the batch of Memorex DVD-R that we have purchased is screwed up/defective, however you want to express it.

It's not a matter of reading through compatibility lists, or using nick-nack software to do fancy things to your data.

I've tried 5 (five) different burners so far, and not one has been able to burn one of these discs. In my opinion, that's hardly "incompatible media". To me, that's "faulty media".

I'm just eager to find out how many people have the same troubles, that is, how common this problem is. It's clear already that Ric and I are not the only ones suffering from this.

The point, once again, is that as these were bought from an online store, all the costs of returning the discs are paid by the customer. In other words, I pay for non-working media plus the postage, and then I pay for the return costs as well. Nice.

Still waiting to hear a proper response from Memorex.