1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex 4x dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mikep56, May 28, 2004.

1. mikep56

mikep56 Member

Hi all,
    Has anybody had any experiences with these dvd-r's, either good or bad. I happened to mention in a different forum that I have been using these for about 1 year and have never burned a coaster. Someone replied to my post that these are really poor quality and that I should switch to Riteks. Have I just been lucky, or are these dvd-r's OK?
    Mike

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It could be a combination of both. Memorex sells whatever they can buy cheap at the time, which means that there's no way to generalize about their quality except to say that it varies from bad to decent. AFAIK there aren't any Memorex discs I would qualify as good, but some aren't terrible.

I'd certainly recommend switching to either Riteks or branded Verbatim's. If you haven't had problems with Memorex yet, now is a good time to quit while you're ahead.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

ive used memorex for about a year and had no problems. I switched to ritek though, because they are better quality and cheaper.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Mike, are you looking at the "Futureshop" flyer right now? I just came to ask the same question.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

how much are they selling for? You can get a 100 pack of ritek for $72.

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Their discs have been working great for me the past 2 months. Serveral month back my results with them were so so at best. Now they are using CMC MAG. AF1 media code I haven't have a bad burn yet in hundreds of burns. I never pay more than $1 per disc at the stores around here because someone always has them on sale.

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The CMC AF1s are the type that have had serious problems with several batches. If you have problems you'll loose most of the discs.

All my batches of memorex were good until the 100 pack of CMCs. Lost 9 of 10 burns. The Media rating site show a number of instances like this on the Memorex. The chances of getting the bad ones are hit and miss. It isn't worth the risk for me anymore.

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Well, I bought a 25 pack on Friday. Burned 17 discs with no issues. (That's all I had to burn at that point.)

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Have you tested the quality near the end of the discs on the 17 you burned? If they all play to the end the rest should be fine. The bad ones are easy to spot. They take twice as long for a blank to get recognized by the burner than any other discs.

10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Until about a month ago I used nothing but Memorex +R's until I went to go watch a movie a my friend's house and it wouldn't work, it would work on my home dvd player and PS2 but know were else, then I noticed I was getting more coaster's so I switched to Ritek's and now.. NO COASTER'S... and there cheaper!

As vurbal put it "now is a good time to quit while you're ahead"

11. walt867

walt867 Member

I've been using the memorex dvd-r since I started about 6 months ago and have never made any coasters. I burn to 4.35gb using dvd shrink. I've never bought anything bigger than the 25 pack and I think I'll be sticking with these as long as they work just because they've also played on just about everyone else's dvd players with no probs either.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

It is the luck of the draw Walt. At least at 25 a set you won't loose to many if you get bit. 100 discs kinda hurts.

It still seems like kind of a risk to pay more when you can get better for cheaper.

13. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I've burned 'bout 300 of these babies with my aging but reliable pioneer 105 using DVD Shrink, Record Now Max and they work well. Haven't had any bad experiences with memorex yet. What horror stories are out there 'bout these? Are there any at all besides the bad burn which is a result of a mixture of burners and software or just common boneheadedness???

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The problem is you can get 300 good discs and be feeling all good then bam! you get a 100 pack of lemons. Happened to me. But only once. I will never give them a second chance to burn me.