1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex 52x or Taiyo Yuden Unbranded 48x

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by miguell, Nov 19, 2003.

1. miguell

miguell Member

Hi all,

I've just received a 50 spindle of 52x memorex. After reading posts here and elsewhere I'm slightly apprehensive about using them? I generally don't have any problems burning since I bought a new lite-on drive (LTR-52327S).

However, I'm really worried about the life time of the discs. People are quoting 1.5-2 years for memorex? Is the quality so different to TDK who claim 100 year lifetime? If the data is important to me is it worth buying some new discs?
    Again from the things I've been reading here the two alternatives I came up with would be...

Taiyo Yuden Unbranded 48x
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/listproducts.pl?type=specific&catid=3&manufacturer=17

TDK Metallic 80min/700mb 40x
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/details.pl?id=tdk80spin

Is it worth me getting a new batch for important data? If so which of the two would you suggest?

Thanks

-Mike

2. miguell

miguell Member

After a bit more digging I've found this article..

http://www.silverace.com/dottyspotty/issue12.html

It suggests the top brands for long term storage (in order) are...

A. Mitsui Gold CD-R & Kodak Gold Ultima - Phthalocyanine dye + Gold.
    B. Kodak Gold Silver+Gold - Phthalocyanine dye + Silver & Gold.
    C. Mitsui Silver, Ricoh Platinum - Phthalocyanine dye + Silver.
    D. Mitsubishi/Verbatim - Azo + Silver.
    E. Taiyo Yuden - Cyanine + Silver.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. Any other suggestions cd-r with good longevity?

-M

3. miguell

miguell Member

Okay I just checked the ATIP of the memorex 52x ...

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
    Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

From what I gather Moser Baer are ok? I ordered the Taiyo Yuden anyway, they seem to be consistently raved about.

My plan is to do some testing with kprobe tonight and compare the two.

-M

4. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Taiyo Yuden is the company that invented the CD-R, so you can't go wrong with them.

Kodak was a top quality disc, but they aren't being made any more.

The older Ricoh discs that were made by Ricoh themselves were very good, but I think the newer ones are made by Ritek - which is OK, but not as good as they were.

Mitsui discs are probably the best ones out there now, in terms of long-term reliability.

Verbatim discs are OK, but I don't count them as being top quality as the others mentioned here.

Memorex is usually generic quality. I don't trust them, though any brand may work OK for some people.

5. miguell

miguell Member

Thanks for the reply.

I ran some tests using Kprobe and the results were quite interesting.

Previous to the memorex 52x I had bought 50 unbranded discs which turned out to be ritek.
    With Kprobe the average c1 and c2 errors I was receiving for the three types of disc were...

memorex(MBI)
    c1 - 2.5
    c2 - 0.5

TY
    c1 - 0.6
    c2 - 0

Ritek
    c1 - 0.3
    c2 - 0

I tested various discs of each type written a different speeds. It seems the ritek consistently had the fewest c1 errors? All burned without problems. (I have never had a coaster with my new drive).

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

WOW. Memorex uses good manufacturers? wtf?! Hehe, where in the world are located?

7. miguell

miguell Member

I'm in the UK. I got the 52x spindle of 50 and they we're MBI. Are MBI good then? From the burns I've done, kprobe is usally giving some c2 errors. From what I've read MBI seem to be middle of the road, all I can say is they don't seem to be as good as the ritek or TY I have. But then again I guess that doesn't make them bad?

Someone else has reported the same memorex as MBI...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=84cdd85cbc9cd68bce5facb064435379&threadid=75676

Again the kprobe graphs don't look to good? Perhaps MBI give memorex all their junk?

--Mike

8. hectar

hectar Guest

ty always

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I just got a 50pk of these Memorex Moser Baer discs for Xmas. Glad I didn't pay for them. I get a higher error rate for them than Ritek burning the same image file from my hd no matter what the speed. I can't vouch for the longevity, but the Riteks give a great burn.