1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex DVD Burner Won't Read Most of the DVDs it Burns

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mqarep, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mqarep

mqarep Member

This is driving me crazy, particularly when I have backed up my data files and cannot restore them.
    Ironically, my other desktop computers with DVD players (not burners) will read these DVDs.
    Anyone else experience this or know of any likely causes? TIA.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mqarep, what kind of media are you using to put that data on? The burner that produced these backups cannot read,but play fine on your other pc player:likely culprit, poor media.Poor media causes:freezing,pixelating,skips,and less playability in stand alone players.Post back with your brand of media. Later

3. mqarep

mqarep Member

I'm using Matrix brand DVDs from an online discount store. Thank you for the quick response. Why would it be that our 3 other desktop computer DVD players read the disks but not the burner (that burned it)?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mqarep,it's pretty unusual that the burner that produced these backups cannot play them when your other dvd players and pc's can.I am not sure about the data but same is true on movies.The differences between the lasers in all dvd equipment are the issues.Nearly every one of them are different.The high quality media reduces this problem most of the time.Download http:www.dvdinfopro.com free media checker when you insert the blank. It will tell you what company made it and the code #. After you find the code #,look up http:digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm - This will tell you which grade those discs are.I always stick with mcc media produced by mitsubishi.If you get them at a regular store,then try the maxell's and make sure they are made in japan code #mxlrg02.If it says made in taiwan or any where else, you might want to avoid them. Good luck.

5. KungFuPro

KungFuPro Guest

Matrix is listed as a 4th class DVD landfill or garbage 50% success rate

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah you beat me to it KungFu. I was going to say that crappy media. :)
    Also Memorex Writer is not very high on the list eithr.. ;-)

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. wowzers

wowzers Member

I started out using memorex and ended up with 82 out of 100 coasters. Not a very good ratio ehh? I switched over to ritek (also cheaper) and am getting maybe 1-2 burns that are duds out of 100. MUCH BETTER