1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex DVD+R 8x speed, Nothing but trouble

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by topgun68, Jan 2, 2005.

1. topgun68

topgun68 Member

Purchuse a 50 pack of Memorex DVD+R 8x from BestBuy on sale for $19.00. I had 6 in a row that were coasters. So I went out and bought a 3 pack of Maxell DVD+R 4x for a test to see if it was the dvds. Wouldnt you know it? I was able to burn onto the Maxell brand with no problems. I was using a Plextor PX 716A burner, with updated firmware and software.

2. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Ya, I wrote off Memorex brand long ago. Do you happen to know what manufacturer they were from? Likely they were CMC-MAG.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I just got a 50 pack of memorex DVD-R from office depot for $20, and I've burned about half so far with no problems. Maybe you either got a bad batch, your burner doesn't like memorex, or their DVD+Rs aren't as good as their -Rs.

Usually I don't use memorex, I like Maxell or TDK, but for $20 it was too good to pass up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Unfortunately Memorex isn't the greatest of media, as you have just found out.
    Maxell are pretty well up the top along with Verbatim, Sony and TDK.
    I use cheap media from time to time, some go ok, but I think in the long run you are better off with quality.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Memorex has been changing manufacturers alot since last year. I never understood alot of the complaints for Memorex because I used the earlier discs which were RICOHJPN and never had a problem. Now, they could be anything from CMC to Infodisc.
    If possible, you should return them to Best Buy and grab the 50-pack Sonys which are on sale this week for $19.99.

6. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

memorex dvd+ 8x has the mitusbushi brand media. the printable dvd + 8 has the cmc media from memorex. i have the memorex dvd+ 8x and they say mcc (mitusbushi media). the fuji dvd+r 8x has the taiyo yuden media brand. try those. all those except cmc media burn good in the plextor 716a and plays in ps2 also

7. DopeFreak

DopeFreak Regular member

Memerex is horrible. i bought a 30 pack and the labels come off way to easy which wrecks the dvd. i decided to buy a silver surfaced dvds. the label cant come off

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The problem with memorex is that they buy their media from several different manufacturers, some good some bad. If I knew I would always get Ricohjpn then I would buy them all the time, but every time I gambled and bought some they were either cmc magnetics or info disk which are both bottom of the barrel clay pigion stand ins. Never again. Since I buy 100 at a time I'm not willing to take a chance on getting crap media.

9. whirlble

whirlble Member

I bought a 25 pack of memorex -r 8x and it shows up as fujifilm 03 on nero infotool. I have burned three movies to this media and have had no problems.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You are lucky. Like I said I am not willing to take that chance. I will stay with media that I know what I'm getting.

11. modchipa

modchipa Member

I use nothing but Princo 4x. Have not had one failure in my Pioneer A08. I love them for everything

12. wicche

wicche Guest

I got a 50 spindle of -R, and nero tool id'd the disks as ritek g05

13. bighair

bighair Guest

Just bought Memorex 4x at Future Shop and have'nt had a coaster yet with my Liteon 1633.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What is the MID code of your media?

15. olamite

olamite Regular member

i picked up a 50 pk of memorex dvd+r,burned about 20 backups at 8x,work great in everywhere but xbox and a 4 year old emerson dvd player i had lying around,but work great in a 4 year old rca player,i'm not knockin memorex just yet!oh plextor 716A

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  16. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

If you have a NEC 3520 then you will know that Memorex works great in those burners. I have burned about 300+ dvds over the past two months since this burner came out and get no CRC errors and even have paper labels on them and they work great still. I also take great care of my media and have an expensive Samsung DVD player. Anyways I just got the EPSON R200 and from now on I will be getting TY just because since recieving them I like everything about them the printables anyways. They print the best so far of all the WHITETOP DVDRs I have used. So no more paper labels and no more Memorex for me but like I said they work great if you have a burner that is not picky and take good care of your media.