1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex DVD-R Media AHHHH!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by klimax, Nov 21, 2004.

1. klimax

klimax Member

I purchased a memorex dvd-r with 4.7 gb. And when I tried to burn something, the computer tells me to put in another disc. I tried putting another different memerox dvd and it tells me the same thing. Is memorex a bad quality dvd-r? Should I buy a sony dvd-r? Which one should I get, the gold cover dvd-r or the blue cover dvd-r?
    thanks for your help.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Get yourself some Maxell discs (if you actually go to a store) or ... if you feel comfortable ordering on-line ... Get yourself some RiDATA branded Ritek discs from either NewEgg.com or from SuperMedia Store ... You'll be glad you did ...

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I had a similar experience a couple weeks back with TDK DVD-r's. hey wouldn't even recognize to start burning. I puty them on my list of brands to avoid, since they were CMC-MAG discs. Check your Memorex discs with DVD Identifier and see if they are CMC MAG. Memorex is another brand I wrote off about a year ago.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Some Memorex are good and some are bad the some are made by Prodisc, Infodisc, & Richojpn these are all good quality but some are manufactured by CMC these are the worst which is probably what you got run them threw DVD Identifier and it will tell you which ones you got. Normally here is a good rule of thumb to go by "made in Japan or singapore" that is usually where the good disc's are manufactured. Stay away from made in "Taiwan, Mexico, Hong Kong, India & Ireland.

Hope this info help you out. You can look all this up at digitalfaq.com :)

5. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

Put me down as another Memorex to Maxell convert. When I first started out in DVD burning, I wasted so much time and money on Memorex it's not funny (at least not to me). I switched to Maxell and have never had a single problem since. Maybe I had bad Memorex discs but it doesn't matter becasue I'm never going back to them. I'll stick with Maxell until they give me reason to do otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Anybody thinking about buying memorex, I advise doing a forum search on memorex first. I'll bet 9 out of 10 posts will be negative. If you're lucky you'll get Ricohjpn but more than likely it will be cmc magnetics boo hoo.

7. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

HEY DUDE, it sounded like something wrong with your dvd writer, and not memorex. By what you describing, your dvd writer cannot see any media at all or simply can't read. Memorex doesn't work with burning ps2 game which happened to me, but they're not that bad to not be able to see by a dvd writer. lol

8. vikings04

vikings04 Member

I just wanna say that I find memorex dvd-R discs to be the best for my burner. I'm sure its your dvd writer. Each writer has discs that it doesn't copy right. For example I have a Plextor 708a Dvd burner and I have no problem with cheap discs like beall from meritline.com or memorex dvd-r anywhere I buy them. As far as some being bad or good I would suggest not buying an economy pack. I used to buy memorex dvd-r in a 25 spindle. There were always two or three bad discs. Now I just buy the 10 packs. Little more money but not a problem. Hope you figure it out.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

vikings04,
    I agree with you for the most part. Memorex tends to put the media with better MID codes in their smaller bundles. Not all their media is bad, some is made by Ricohjpn (which is excellent media), but thats one of the problems with memorex, you never know what your going to get and when you buy small quantities you usually pay quit a bit more per disc. I buy my media 100 at a time and I'm not willing to take that chance. I stick with quality proven media that I know what the MID code will be and since I buy larger quantities it's cheaper anyway.

Also true about some dvdrws writing better on poor quality media, but if your not sure what your dvdrw likes and dislikes, go with the good stuff and you won't have to worry about it.