1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex DVD+RW/+R drive will not allow computer to boot

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by duane, May 31, 2003.

1. duane

duane Member

I have an up-to-date (256 RAM, 2 GHz processor) IBM clone. After installing a brand new Memorex DVD+RW/+R drive, it will not boot. I get the Windows ME picture, then soon after a normal black screen, the signal to the monitor dies and its light goes yellow. It actually booted up ONE TIME and I was able to access the drive and everything (of course this happened while I was on the phone with tech support), but every time before and since I get the same negative result. (In order to leave that state I have to reboot in safe mode, shut down, disconnect the drive and start up again.) Any clues?

Duane in Dallas

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

WindowsME has always been wavy gravy IMHO

I'd suggest (if your able to) updating O/S

3. sincityjc

sincityjc Guest

I'll start w/ the obvious. Did you put the drive on the same IDE cable as the hard drive? If it shares the primary channel w/ HD change it to the secondary channel. Also, if there is some other drive on secondary channel be sure that master/slave designation is not in conflict between the two drives. Assuming that MS ME is similar to MS XP you can click "start," hi-lite "all programs," hi-lite "accessories," hi-lite "system tools," and click "system information." From there click the "+" next to "Components" and this will expand the directory. Click "CDROM" and you will see all the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2003
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Just for future reference this thread should be in Hardware Forum.