1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex external burner

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by twoswords, Mar 23, 2005.

1. twoswords

twoswords Guest

We have a Memorex external cd burner connected to a Dell laptop PC, running on XP. Each time we start the memorex, plugging it in and connecting to USB, an error message is received "A fatal error has occured and Windows must shut down to avoid serious damage". There is a blue screen with much more writing, but it comes and goes so quickly that it is not possible to read the entire message. The system then shuts down completely and restarts itself. Burns have been successful, and once on, it seems that there are no problems.
    We contacted Memorex and he said that it was a Windows registry problem. Not sure if this was just a brush off. He suggested we do a repair from the original XP disk. All we have is the Dell reinstallation disk which does not have a repair function. Can you please help? Thanks

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

LOL!

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

The message was probably a sudden dump in memory, usually caused by unplugging something usb related or a conflict that you have on your computer.

My suggestion would be to get a program called REGISTRY MECHANIC. You can get a free version from PCWORLD.COM

I would also, advise you to take out ANYTHING usb related and then run all your diagnostic scans.

Before plugging anything into the USB ports, go ahead and run the RM, you will be very surprised at what you see. Just finish it out and let it run its course.

Also, make sure you have updated drivers for your computer using the DELL DIAGNOSTIC disk that you got from them, if you don't have one, you can still d/l the drivers from off their website.

After all this...you should be good to go.

Had the same problem till I found RM and I had to fix some holes in XP PRO.

This should get you going.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005