1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex media help

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ERICST, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ERICST

ERICST Guest

I have just found out that some movies i backed up using Teon and espeshaly Memorex have been playing back badly. Freezing pixel or all out locking up any drive I put the disk in. I looked up the code but I dont know what compy it is. Can U tell me what this comedy is?

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG E01
    Media Product Revision Number 00h
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F .............&.?
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 45 .......CMC MAG.E
    00000020 30 31 00 38 23 54 37 10 02 38 6A 02 88 67 15 15 01.8#T7..8j..g..
    00000030 0B 0B 08 08 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 ................

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Thats landfill material. Literally the worst media you can buy. Do yourself a favor and buy Taiyo Yuden disks.

3. J_man

J_man Regular member

4. ERICST

ERICST Guest

So If I stick to B&M stores,TDK and Maxell is best?

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You'll be alright with just about anything made in japan.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  6. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

Try different media till you find one that works for YOU. Done believe all the hype out there. I have ALWAYS used Memorex and never had a bad disc. I've had plenty bad with Maxell.

7. J_man

J_man Regular member

Dvdeviant,
    If you have a nice Cpu set up, plenty of memory,a good burner,write at 4x or slower speeds and keep your hard drive defraged and in tip top shape.
    You might get by with cheap media like memerex, but if any of the above is lacking or the skills to match you will get coasters. I prefer quality media and writing at 8x to 16x speed with no coasters at all.

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Not necessarily. One problem is that you cannot tell by brand name who the manufacturer is. I've recently bought Memorex, both -R and +R, from Office Depot, that have a PRODISC manufacturer id tag, and I'm getting great burns with them. (I know, because I check my burns for crc read errors.) So not all Memorex are bad.

OTOH, I recently baught some Maxell 4X -R "Yellowtops" with a RITEK id on the basis of raves from many users here, only to have every single burn from them plagued with crc read errors. Since so many others seem to have good results with these, I'm wondering if it is a quirk where my particular burner -- Sony DRU 710A -- has problems with this particular run of dvd's.

All of which is to say that generalizations are almost impossible. The best technique is to avoid the really bad ones -- like the CMC Magnetics -- and [bold]try out[/bold] the so-called good ones. Whatever you buy, test at least the first few burns for crc read errors. If they are free, stock up. If not, chuck 'em and try something else.

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i agree that CMC media is land fill material . i have seen more people have trouble with CMC media than i can count . CMC media is the lowest quality media out there or the lowest grade out there . that is a fact not hype ! some may have good luck being cheap but that cheapness will come back to haunt them later on when that media will no longer play a couple of years from now . it happened to me ! i have several dvd's that will no longer play that were burned barely 2 years ago . all were on CMC media . i have no problems with dvd's burned using good quality media . take your chances with fact or fiction on CMC media .

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The quality of a disc can't be told by the fact that it burned and works fine now, it's whether or not it'll work in a year(or less). So before you say anything about any media, make sure those discs that worked so great 8 months ago are still working. ERICST, those CMC MAG discs you are using are crap. Like I said before the stuff from japan is good and has still worked over the years for me. I didn't realize this until recently when someone on this site brought it to my attention. Hope this helps the newbs.

11. ERICST

ERICST Guest

Thanks all. I got a reply back from I/o Magic tech, They recominded....TDK Maxell Ritek Pioneer and Princo. I have used Ritek before and the Maxel and TDK have never given me any costers. I check my stock pile and my cake of TDK and Maxel say Made in Japan.I think when I need more I will by the Ritek's, for now the cake of Memorex is going in the "burn Carttons for my 4 year old" bend.
    Again thanks.
    Eric

12. shark29

shark29 Member

I like how everyone trashes Memorex yet on supermediastore.com, where most seem to buy their media, Taiyo Yuden and Memorex are the two highest rated manufacturers. Personally, I only use Memorex and Verbatim...2+ years and both are still going strong! Memorex CMC included!

13. shark29

shark29 Member

14. Noobia

Noobia Guest

I have had recent problems with maxell and memorex media as well i will burn a disc using them and it burns fine no erros or nothing then when i get rdy to sit down and watch it the player doesent even recognize it it just sits there and says loading.... then after 1 min or two it will say NO DISC

any 1 else having this problem?

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Noobia, i've had that problem w/ memorex +RW 4x discs. a couple of things: are u using +R, -R, or RW discs? how old is your player? a rule of thumb is that +R works better w/ newer players while -R works better w/ older players (about 2 yrs old or more.) i only use the memorex +RW for movies i want to watch but don't want to keep permanently. from time to time my player will do the same thing, it will try to read the disc for a few seconds, then say "no disc." 9 times out of 10 if i just open and close the tray a couple of times (or more!) it will eventually play. and i've stated here before that my player's owner's manual says it won't play them. go figure! and playback on my player has been very good w/ these discs. currently i'm using maxell dvd-R for my permanent burns along w/ verbatim. haven't had any trouble at all w/ my player reading either one. BUT, i have had about 3 maxell discs out of 31 so far w/ crc errors. that's about a 90% success rate. i can live w/ that...for now. it's really just a matter of doing a little research and, unfortunately, some trial and error, to find the best combo between your blank media and player. btw, u wouldn't happen to be using a panasonic player would u?
    let us know how it goes.

16. Noobia

Noobia Guest

Well, i ive tried to use some maxell yellowtop 4x 4.7 2 hrs dvd-r comp wont regonize them i suppose its because of my burnner being a +r +rw only reader/burnner? like i said the Memorex dvd+r 8x 4.7 2 hrs worked well when burned but when i attempted to play them on my player it wouldnt work im going to try some Maxell DVD+Rs today hopefully they will work with my burrner and player. Ill Let you guys know

17. Noobia

Noobia Guest

btw i had some maxell 4x DVD-R 4.7 2hrs and when i went to burn them my computer wouldnt even regonzie them gave me the messgae (focus servo error) going to try DVD+R maxells today

18. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

another thing to keep in mind is that it is common to have playback problems if u burn above 4x. even if the media is rated above 4x (like 1x-8x). best to burn at 4x or lower.

19. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

J Man, I dont have near as much memory as most out there, I do have a good burner(LiteOn), and I do write at 8x with Memorex. Memorex is cheap, but its good, IMO. Most ppl look at the price of 2 things, and automatically assume the higher priced item will be so much better in the end. I bet half the ppl who dis Memorex brand media havent even tested it. They just jump on the wagon. Memorex is good media..end of story.

Your pc may be trash...your burner may be trash...but Memorex is good media.

20. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@DVDeviant,
    You're an idiot. People say memorex is crap because hundreds of people have tried it, and found it to be majorly lacking in quality. If your experience with memores has been good, then say that. But only a solipsist would think that their experience would somehow refute the experience of hundreds of others.

And in about a year, have fun playing frisbee with your memorex disks, after they begin to crap out on you.