1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKY_2084, Jan 26, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I just got my burner today the NEC 3520A, I gotta say I love it and despite what others say about the noise, I will let you know that I cant even hear it when its burning, so I dont know why you say it is noisy? Anyways I sent my GF to Walmart cause I needed some cheap media fast and she brought home 8x Memorex DVD+R a 20pack for $10. The ID was CMC Mag and I always here you guys say how bad that is. Well I backed up 17 DVDs and not a single problem and the quality is just as good as the Verbatim +Rs that I usually use. I was just wondering why no one likes the CMC Mags by Memorex they are everybit of good as Verbatims in my opinion, but maybe I missed something??

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

It's not always a matter of what will work now. It's a year(or less) down the road when you pop it in you player and all of a sudden it's like you never had data on the disc. Even the crapiest of the crap media will burn and work at first, but the real issue is the quality of the dye over time. Believe it or not, you over paid for the memorex. If you think $.50 cents a disc is cheap, you can get better quality for the same or less than what you paid.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Dude, you burned 17 disks. You think that reputes the bad experiences that hundreds of people have had with the thousands of memorex disks that have crapped out on them? Like wolfniggr said, you got lucky that they burned fine, and you'll be even luckier each month that the disks are still playable.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

[bold]balaam[/bold],

I'm learning to take what others say about media quality -- the bad experiences that hundreds of people have had -- around here with a grain of salt, and test things for myself. I have two batches of Memorex here, one DVD-R and the other DVD+R, both with [bold]PRODISC[/bold] manufactuer id's. And both burn flawlessly in my Sony DRU 710A.

On the other hand, Maxell 4X DVD-R "Yellowtops" with a [bold]RITEK[/bold] manufacturer id, which I bought after seeing numerous positive remarks about them here, have turned out to be crap.

Go figure. (And if you think you have an explanation for why my experience is the opposite of others, I'm all for hearing it.)

Edit:

[bold]CKY_2084[/bold],

Have you run a crc read error check on your movies after burning them? You might think they are good burns when in fact there are errors. DVD players are pretty forgiving about read errors. But if you ever want to copy the copy, and there are read errors, you'll be sorry.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@bazilla,
    People just report their experiences. If a media doesn't work for them, thats what they say.

But what I was talking about are the dozens of media testers out there. People who run their own websites, or beta test for dvd burning softare, and get media manufacturers to send them thousands of disks for testing over months and months. It is from the experience of these people that memorex has gotten such a bad name.

Any single person who burns as a hobby can't possibly think that their experience is authoritative, compared to the huge amount of contrary experience.

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I understand that an individual's experience cannot be authoritative for others.

Do you mind me asking you to point me to some of the web sites you had in mind? Sounds like something I would profit from knowing about.

Thanks.