1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memorex

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by horsemen, Feb 10, 2005.

1. horsemen

horsemen Member

i seen a few people say memorex was bad media but i have burned over 100 movies and had no probs well once but it was on my end not the disk so what wrong with memorex and what do you say is good

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. hursty

hursty Active member

memorex do make some good disc,s,but they also make some bad ones
    memorex use a variety of sources to produce there dvd,some better than others.
    TY's have made them>excellent,but so have
    cmc>unreliable
    they are a unreliable manufacturer of dvd,thats why they have a bad reputation

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

(http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=62758)

The link above shows your Burner with the current media list that it recommends. I would look at what's in that list and what they say about the media before purchasing any media in great quantities. It also breaks down media based on firmware updates.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey horsemen, check out this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

scroll through the list of media for memorex.

Take notice of all the codes with (cmc) magnetics.There are also codes for mcc"mitsubishi" ricohjpn,prodisc, and ty. When you go out and buy some memorex,which brand/format/speed/ and quantity packaging are you going to buy? With all those cmags they use,it's pretty hard. Later

5. XBG

XBG Member

I've used Memorex for some time without any problems but the newest spindle I can only burn as fast as 4x.

These are the first ones that say "Is It Live Or Is It Memorex" on the inside translucent ring near the center hole.

I have been shown the light with the links provided in this thread!

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

7. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Guest

I am 14 and i just got a dvd copyer and i dont know how to copy game. Well i do know how to but first i need to copy it to my moms hard drive and there is no room. (PLEAS HELP ME THERES NO ROOM)

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Best to start a new thread, champ - you're question has nothing to do with the thread topic ;)

Not much you can do if there's no room on the hard drive other than clearing out some space.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  9. jpicc1113

jpicc1113 Guest

I HAVE BURNED OVER 200 DVD'S WITH MEMOREX AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.....

10. baki21

baki21 Member

I have also made A LOT of backups with memorex with no problems. However, the last 100 pk I bought are defective. All of them. I have troubleshooted everything - even caused me to buy a new burner - before I realized it was the DVDs. I was not thinking about the DVDs because I have had so much success with Memorex. I am trying to get some type of refund from Memorex. And it will be Taiyo Yuden for me from now on.

11. Augmented

Augmented Member

I recently purchased a 100pk of the Memorex DVD+R 4x
    (CMC MAG.F01). I haven’t had one coaster. And as far as quality goes, I can’t tell you the difference
    with the naked eye. If CMC is so bad, I guess I need Glasses. The Only error I seemed to encounter is that Nero allows me the option of burning @ 8x. But it still takes 14 min. to Burn. Which I understand is quite commen.

12. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

But have you made back-ups of back-ups?

13. ruderick

ruderick Guest

I first started using memorex,ones that say is it live or memorex around the the center of the disc.Ibought a 15 pack just to try em out,all 15 no problems.next time i got memorex i had 9 out of 15 were coasters.I recently tried maxell and verbatim with the cool movie maker vinayl album look to em. I really like the new verbatim!you can find any of them try em out.

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

My OptoRite DD0203 loves Memorex DVD-R 4X "ProdiscS03"

My Asus DRW-1604P hates them and the final burns look like a confetti convention.

What is one man’s trash is another man’s treasure! My opinion… It’s the Burner and it’s firmware that are going to decide the outcome.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  15. POPEYE171

POPEYE171 Member

YA I think memorex is terrible first time user of them and no good so far used over 30 of them and all 30 dont work cant return them but mise well use them i willnever go memorex again except for CD's they are preetty good

16. Augmented

Augmented Member

:::::But have you made back-ups of back-ups?::::

Yes I have made backups of backups from Memorex. But the digital image on the disk is not going to change. Were not talking about Memorex video tapes, where you can't eventually see Pam Anderson's box because of copying off a copy. I believed we have evolved a little.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

This has been run into the ground. Ppl doubt the bad rep that memorex has and go buy a 25 pk and I'll be, these memorex's are darn good discs. So they order a 100 pk online and oh $hit all at once all I can make is coasters. Guess I should have listened.

Memorex media is more forgiving with top of the line burners such as Plextor and a few others but the longivity can still be at risk depending on what the MID code is of the memorex media.

Augmented, if it takes you 14 min. to burn you are not burning at8x. More like 4x. 8x will take apr. 7-8 min.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  18. Augmented

Augmented Member

Mort81...
    Thank you for the theology behind the dvd. Yes I know that it is being burned @4x. That is why I refer to it as an error. Excuse me if I am not explaining myself. I must have been created on bad media.

19. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

You took my comment out of context. When you use low grade media it might appear that it is fine but maybe down the road the disc degrades and you get errors when you try to rip from a copy. I can tell you if you get discs that id as cmc mag you will get an error eventually. I didn't think I had problems with some of my dvd's because they all played fine but low and behold 87% encoded and bam crc error. I started using Sony TY's and I will never go back. With TY media you can visually see a difference in quality. With all the senior members that say they only use TY then there has to be something to it.

20. shark29

shark29 Member

Jacsac,

To say "If you use cmc mag you will get an error eventually" is ludicrous. Do some research before you speak. The CMC +R is actually very highly rated. I have between 300-400 Memorex 4X from nearly two years ago and I havent found one that has any errors on them yet. You sound like someone that just goes with the flow of what other people say. It is the -R CMC MAG that has had a lot of problems. Like I have said previously, some burners work great with some media and some dont. It isnt necessarily the media or burner, sometimes they just dont work well together. A lot depends on firmware as well.