1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory card corrupted, any chance of recovery?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Rogue_77, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

As the thread says, my memory card got corrupted as I was transferring data to my memory stick via actionreplay max. Is there anyway to reformat the card? As it stands, its completely dead now. At least before I was able to use it even with some corrupted data. It's a Nysfo(?) card. The yellow with black stripe card you can find at the mall.

2. ps2source

ps2source Regular member

you probally cannot recover the data but if you check around the web i'm sure you can find the MemCard Format ELF file ;)

3. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I'm not worried about the data on it, I had backed it up to a USB memory stick. Just want to be able to use the card again in the future

4. clouser

clouser Guest

the action replay has an option to format the mem card it under the options .

5. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Thanks, I didn't see that option while I was looking thru the menus. I think I might be getting old. :)

6. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

I have 3 versions of Action Replay and they all fail to wipe corrupted data.

Try looking for MCKiller or MCFormat .ELF files.

7. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

what should I do with those .elf files?

I formatted the disc but I haven't looked at the contents of the card yet to make sure it's gone. I'll have to do that tonight

8. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

ELF files are executable programs for Playstation. (I've heard it stands for "Electronic Linking File" Not sure though)

Kinda of like EXE files for Windows, you use the memory card exploit, or a modded PS2 or whatever you can use that will read unsigned code on a PS2....you "run" the elf file and it will erase your card.

For instance, I boot into my Memory Card exploit and use either PS2Menu or PS2OS to run the .elf files.

I guess you can run elf files from a burned cd with a modded PS2, not really sure what the rules are when using a PS2 with a mod chip.

hope this helps.

AtariBorn

9. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

By the way, never copy "Crushed" saves to your memory card with ARMax...always "Uncrush to" your memory card.

If you copy the crushed saves, they will appear as unreadable data, unless ARMax reads it.

10. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have a modded system, I'll have to rely on the ARMax format.

Took me a little while before I realized the crush options. My brother gave me the disc without any explaination on how the whole thing works