1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Card & Modchip questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by yoshiotak, Jan 19, 2007.

1. yoshiotak

yoshiotak Member

I tried to search, but I couldn't find a post answering my question, so I hope somebody can help me out.

I plan on buying a modded PAL-PS2 the next month. I want to play Japanese and European PAL games (perhaps US-NTSC releases, too...) on it. I want to buy it from this store.
    What modchip should I choose?
    I narrowed it down to "Matrix Infinity" or "Crystal Chip V 2.0". Which one is better, i.e. more reliable? I want to make sure I can play all games there are without a hassle.

My second question is about memory cards.
    Can I put game saves of PAL games and NTSC games on the same MC?
    On the gamecube I had to buy 3 different memory cards for PAL games, NTSC-USA games and NTSC-Japan games. That was a bit annoying.
    Is it the same with PS2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Piss easy. excuse my language!. the most reliable IS def the matrix infinity. it loads almost anything, unlike the crystal, and is perfect if you just want a modded ps2 with no hassle, and no "expert features"

i think the crystal chip has auto DNA$ Patching, though, so you dont have to patch each game with the online code if your playing online games. u can still play online with the matrix, although you need to patch each id in manually (takes 10 seconds, but you need to find the id first, which is not too hard.)

i have a matrix, and for months people have been saying to me "get the matrix infinity" before i brought it. in fact, its so popular, that on some installation sites, they show a slim v12 ps2 with matrix infinity installed, and sell it for £150. if ur in the uk, the best modding site is , but send it to them in a couple of weeks, they are a bit busy at the moment, and there phones are down. they are trustworthy, because they are an ex ebay powerseller. i know 3 people who have had their console modded there with the matrix infinity, an they are all v happy! they give you a 6 month warantee too. ps. get the comsoft v3 slim fix installed to, so your laser does not blow! they give you a free SomeOne fix free, but its not that good.

3. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Oh, and as for the memory cards, their wont be a problem, all my friends get ntsc Jap games and PAL games and save em!

4. yoshiotak

yoshiotak Member

Thanks for the answer.
    I think I'll believe you and get a Matrix Infinity chipped console. All I want is playing imports without a hassle. If I can get that I'm ok. :eek:)
    I found a shop where they already sell modded consoles and also give you warranty on that. A black slim PS2 with the Matrix Infinity costs 189 Euro there. A good price I guess.
    It's cool that I can save everything on one memory card. Thanks for that info, too. :)

5. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Oh, and i would reccomend some way of cooling it. the slimline overheats very quickly, espescially with a modchip. what i did was put my ps2 on a laptop cooling pad. it would help if you drilled some holes, but you obviously dont want to. my warrany still has 12 months left, so im not gonna drill any holes, however, if you do want to in a year or two, make sure you take the casing off first, or you wil drill through the ps2. i found an article on ps2 overheating, and most people have just drilled some holes where the fans are. if you get a laptop cooling pad and drill
    a few small holes in the casing, the results would be great. your laser will be less likely to blow. if you are gonna so this, do it after the warranty is out of date. im gonna in 12 months time!

6. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

P.S If you still wanna do it, or ask the guy fitting the modchip to do it, here's the info. even if ur not gonna, look at it. its pretty cool.

7. yoshiotak

yoshiotak Member

Thanks for the info on overheating. I wouldn't have thought of that.
    I will research that and take measures.