1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory despute

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by EYEShurt, Aug 25, 2004.

1. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

which is better in performane (both dual chanel) 2x512mb 400mhz or 4x256 400mhz

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Probably the 4x256 but its arguable both ways and highly depent on what you're doing. Regardless the technical advantage would be on the order of 10Mbytes/sec so really its kinda meaningless advantage :)

3. john179

john179 Active member

I run my system off 2 x 512mb and it works really well as i only have 3 memory slots 4 x 256mb would not be a option for me.I can not see it making that much of a difference has Praetor mentioned.I think it is best to keep all your memory sticks to the same size.If you want to take your system to more than 1gb in the future you will have un even size sticks in your pc then.

To be honest i do not know how much truth there is in what i have been told in the past that if your memory has different size sticks in it may not perform as well.But just to be on the safe side i keep it this way.Personally i think if you put 2 x 512mb in this gives you room to upgrade in the future without having to discard your memory you already have in as you will have 2 free slots.
    John179

4. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

Thanks guys me and my friend were having a dispute about this because i said that 2x512mb sticks would perform better and that it would be better if he wanted to upgrade later due to him having 4 RAM slots. this is using a different account.

5. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

shut up wayne u fool

6. john179

john179 Active member

No problem mate glad to help a fellow member

John179

7. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

hoka bye
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004