1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Install Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by charlidr, Jun 24, 2007.

1. charlidr

charlidr Member

I am new to all the computer hardware stuff. The computer I have is an old one, running Windows XP. I had 96mb of memory installed. I went to www.kahlon.com to purchase another memory card. Used their memory configurator and purchased the 128mb card that they recommended. I have 3 memory slots in the computer, one was empty. I installed the new card using the information from the various guides I had read on installing memory. When I tried to boot up the computer, it just beeped. I took out the new card, and it booted up fine. I then installed another 64mb card, and it booted fine again.

One thing that I did notice is that the cards that will work in the computer have the small black chips on only one side, while the new card has chips on both sides. Is that the issue?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your board appears to not like certain ram or that new ram is bad. try the new ram by itself to see if posts or not. what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard?

3. charlidr

charlidr Member

I tried it by itself, and still got just the beeps, and it wouldn't boot up. The computer is an IBM Aptiva, Model number 2174572.

Since I did the memory configurator thing on the website where I bought the memory from, isn't that supposed to tell me exactly what kind of memory will be compatible?

4. ddp

can you try that stick on another pc to see if does same thing or not as might be defective.

5. charlidr

charlidr Member

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer that I could hook it up to :(

6. ddp

how about a friend's?

7. charlidr

charlidr Member

It's pretty unbelievable, but most of the people I know don't own a computer, and those that do are scared to have it opened up at all lol So, there's really no way for me to check it on another computer at all. I've emailed the company I bought it from, so I'll see what they say.

Would it have something to do with the fact that the memory cards that work have the chips only on one side and the new one (that doesn't work) has them on both?

8. ddp

what you have is single density(old) & double density(new) ram. what should happen then on the new ram is that it should post only half the 128meg, other words 64meg not not posting at all. that is why i think you have a bad stick or incompatible stick of ram.

9. charlidr

charlidr Member

Yeah, nothing at all is happening when I put the new one in. Guess I'll have to return it and see if they can give me the single density memory.

So, is that what it means when it says DIMM... that it's a double density memory card?

10. ddp