1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory loss

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Metroid, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Metroid

Metroid Guest

I was wondering how come after every backup i make of a DVD, my memory in drive C becomes less and less. And of course i delete all the temporary files from decrypter and stuff. Thank you

2. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

There could be a few likely reasons, but you don't mention how much "less" is. I'm assuming you are seeing large drops in size, meaning several hundred MB, at a time. The reasons could vary depending on what software you use, what operating system version, OS settings and so on. If you are using Windows 98, Me, XP, 2000 etc, one thing you can do is a search for file sizes larger than say 20MB, 50MB, 100MB etc.

An example in XP would be to open "My computer" and click on the C: drive to open that. Press F3 to bring up your search window. Read all the options and set it to search for all types of files. Look for advanced settings, checkbox hidden files too. DON'T give it any names to search for (leave it blank).. Press search. I don't give a specific example because even in XP the search method can be changed depending on settings. Some people see the happy search dog.. I turned mine off.

Your search will come up with all your largest files, some of which should not be deleted of course. If you see temp files or other files that are sitting around, that could be the cause. Make sure you know what the files are. From your post it sounds like you know how to delete temp files, so maybe there are "other" temp files generated that you are unaware of.

You can also take a look, then backup a DVD (to a rewritable perhaps), then take another look to see which files get added. That is where I would start.

Your system restore file could also be growing, windows usually only looks at system type files. I just thought I'd mention it. good luck.

3. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

p.s. if you need more help, please post your operating system, version, how much space you lose with each burn, and if you find any of those big files. That way other people can get an idea of what you are finding.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Metroid, I have heard the members using Norton System Works have your type problem. The deleted video files are getting stored in Nortons protected recycle bin or something like that. It needs to be emptied also. Just a guess and I don't have that program so I might be off somewhat on the exact situation or terms.

Jerry

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Wow! Great answer, BlueLaser :)
    I have memory loss usually only after drinking too many wobbly pops...
    But yeah, harddisks are so huge these days (120-160-200GB) that housekeeping is almost a lost art.
    Check both your Temp directories.
    You can also search your HDs for any *.tmp files (or any type of file you desire).
    Heck, you can even use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup thingy.
    System restore and protected recycling etc. are why a 40GB harddisk is considered tiny, these days...
    I remember my first HD was a 10MB (late 80's).
    When I replaced it with a 20MB, I thought I'd gone to heaven ;-)
    Housekeeping was more important back then.
    Let us know how you get along.

6. Metroid

Metroid Guest

Thanks for all your help everyone. I got the problem fixed. i deleted all the protected files in the nortons recycle bin. And i used the nortons clean sweep and the system cleansweep.
    By the way, i have a pentium 4, 2.8 gig, Windows XP, and 512 mb of ram just in case you want to give me more advice or something. Thanks again.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad you got it fixed. I was almost sure that was the problem.

Jerry