1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Problems? (Running Windows XP)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Console23, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Console23

Console23 Member

Hello, I recently installed a 1GB DDR 400 Ram stick to supplement the 512MB I already had, at first everything was running fine, until I received a BSOD a few days ago.

Thinking that the new ram was faulty, I checked it, and found it to be loose in the ram slot, I re-secured it, and my PC ran great until yesterday. I am now receiving periodic BSOD's.

I checked my bios settings and scaned my ram for errors using the windows diagnostic tool. I found two errors

One under INVC, address 407a91f8 expected 00000000 actual 02000000
    One under WINVC, address 407a91f8 expected 10101010 actual 12101010

I was about to bring back the 1GB stick, but decided to test my other ram modules, all of them were showing the same errors in both my ram slots.

So is there any hope to my situation, these BSODs show up out of nowhare, even if I'm not doing anything memory intensive. I ran every test I could think, of. I even scanned all my HDD's reset my bios, and scanned for viruses, I could understand one ram module being defective, but all of them?

Am I right to assume this might be a motherboard problem. I haven't installed any new software in ages, or updated any of my drivers.

Please, if anyone can help me, reply.

2. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

ewww seems like it could well be the slots playing up
    try a didfferent stick than those you have already tried in the slot that didn't have the loose ram

3. Grouty

Grouty Member

Hi sorry to butt in but i have a similar problem but not exactly the same. I had 512mb of memory and installed a 1gb memory card as well. On their own they both work fine,even if i put them in either slot but when they are both inserted together my computer won't boot up. Very strange,i am using the 1gb obviously but 1 and a half gigs would have been better. Any ideas? My pc is an Acer aspire t140 AMD 64 Athlon 2.1 ghz and i am running XP home.

Thanks in advance

grouty