1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory upgrade help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tcwas, Feb 15, 2008.

1. tcwas

tcwas Member

I'm looking forward to upgrade more memory into my dell dimension E 520 system. after some research, i know that i can update from 2-4 1G DDR2-667 (PC2 5300) memory ram.

But is there any specific thing that i have to look into buying the ram? like if there is good brand vs. bad brand? durablity, etc? where (online) should i buy? any reccomendation?

i dont know much about this stuff so just wanna have a double check. :) thank you very much.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just get some cheap memory that is DDR2. You're putting it in a dell so you won't be overclocking it.

If you are replacing ALL the memory in the dell then get something that has low cas latency and fast speed. If you only want to add to the memory then just get whatever is cheap, but nothing slower than DDR2-667.

3. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

1- low cost, use any DDR2 667MHZ or better. What ever is on sale at the time. Can even put in dual channel even if the motherboard isnt dual channel. Try Ebay, Craigslist, Fry's electronic store or on line.

2- Kingston brand has life time warranties

3- Avoid modules advertised as economy

4- Running 32 bit OS system (most common) no need to have more than 2 GB of RAM. Running 64 bit OS system (GEEK Builders) then go more than 2 GBs.

5- There is only one company that makes the RAM, ie: kingston puts the RAM into a small circuit board called a module and sells it to you hence brand versus brand question.

hope i was helpful

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Zer0ink, more then 1 company makes ram.