1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory upgrade problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wildkatz2, Feb 3, 2008.

1. wildkatz2

wildkatz2 Member

HI,

I have a Sony VGC-RB30 CPU with an Intel 915GAG motherboard. I tried to identify the motherboard through AMIBIOS and this what I got

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    BIOS info:
    ALERT: This BIOS has been identified as Intel BIOS!
    Please contact Intel for motherboard support ... http://www.intel.com
    SMBIOS info:
    Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
    Product Name : D915GAG
    Version : AAC88910-302
    Serial Number: BQAG44720045
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

So I looked up the mother board type on Intel website and it gave me the memory as PC3200 DDR 400MHZ.

I've had 2*256MB + 1*512MB RAMs up to now. Recently I ordered 2 1GB RAMs as follows

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1GB (Size)
    PC3200 - 400 MHz (Speed)
    CL 3 (Cas Latency)
    128x64 -Built with 128Mx4 Bit DRAM (Hi-Density DRAM- Please check compatibility)
    Un-buffered
    Non-Registered
    184Pin
    Non ECC
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed the RAMs in DIMM 0's of channel A and B according to the manual after removing the old ones. After that I turned the computer on and went to the BIOS by pressing F2. In the BIOS computer had identified the @GB RAM. Then I exited BIOS and started windows normally. The computer will show start windows screen, but it would not go any further. I tried several times but I can never see the desktop screen. But, when I install my old RAM, then I can start the computer normally.

If someone can please help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sounds like one of the DIMMs is faulty. Try isolating which one by taking all of the DIMMs out, and trying 1 stick and start the pc. If it works, then that one is fine. Take it out, and try another, if the pc doesnt boot then that's your problem.

Try the DIMMs in separate slots?

3. wildkatz2

wildkatz2 Member

I tried removing all memory and plugging in each 1GB seperately at a time. for both of them, everytime i did that the computer will show the boot up screen and then windows screen normally. but then after several seconds, there will be columns of different colors will come up on th escreen. nothng will come up after that.

i looked up the memory compatibility in the manual. the manual is at

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D915GAG/AG_manual.htm

according to page 21 the technical product specification manual the Supported Memory Configurations are, for 1GB of
    1024 MB DS 512 Mbit 64 M x 8/64 M x 8 16
    1024 MB SS 1 Gbit 128 M x 8/empty 8

to me this sounds like low density RAMS. do u suppose this is the problem since i'm using hi density ones?

Any ideas guys? I's really appreciate any help from any one

thanks a lot