1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Upgrade Question--which type?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gtea11, Mar 19, 2007.

1. gtea11

gtea11 Member

Hi,

I've got a sony vaio laptop, pcg-v505ex. I called circuit city and best buy and they told me I need pc2700, probably 200 pin. I know after some research that this is correct, but while shopping for the chips, I've come up with a couple more questions. 1st, pc3200 seems to be cheaper and it says it's backwards compatible with 2100 and 2700. Do I still need to stick with the 2700? Also, right now, I've got 2 slots, each with a 256Mb, but I want to buy at least a gig at a time so that I won't have to turn around and buy bigger memory later. It's expandable to 2 and so I could get 1 gig and have 1.25G, or I could go ahead and get the 2G and that way I only have to take my computer apart once. I don't know how much 1 would speed it up, probably plenty, but I could go ahead and buy the 2 to save a couple of bucks and like I said, just do it one time. The brand is another thing. If I get toshiba or samsung it's of course more expensive than generic, but I found an ebay store that carries several brands and generic and seems to be a good deal. I'm a little wary of buying generic from ebay in this case though because I'm not sure of the quality/production. How's kingston? I realize brand's not really a big issue in this kind of stuff, but I don't want to get the one crappy brand out there either. One last thing, when I actually put it in, do I need to worry about my data getting lost, or is it pretty safe to open, put it in, and that's it. If I need to back everything up first, let me know. I apprecaiate any advice and thank you for your time.

Ashley

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well first question is which type of RAM can you use ?
    DDR or DDR2
    Then i would just stick with the PC2700 that is suggested. No use worrying about compatibility issues. I would also just go with the 2GB from the start. Some systems can not handle memory correctly if they are too far apart in size, like a 1GB stick working with a 256MB stick. Your data is safe, you are not messing with the hard drive where it is all stored.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=381&name=Notebook-Memory
    there is a decent place to buy stuff online, compare pricing and specs with what you looked at. Tigerdirect.com is another good one.
    Kinston is alright. What i would suggest as far as brands are
    Corsair, Crucial Technologies, OCZ, or Mushkin. Look at them as each brand also has different quality RAM to offer. Usually they will have a common/budget type and then a higher end type. Depends on what you want to spend, but get the best you can afford.