1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu Edits and Splitting DVD-9 question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nflp, Mar 29, 2004.

1. nflp

nflp Guest

I am not sure if this is a dumb question or one better suited to the newbie area. If it is a newbie question, please let me know and I'll post it there.
    Ok, I am first having problems splitting a movie. Let me explain what I want to do. I want to split a DVD-9 (in this case, Fantasia is the first one I have tried) over two discs so I can keep all the supplementary info. I also want to keep the menu structure on both discs. I can copy the movie with the menu in tact but I can't get the second one to work. I have found alot of guides on how to split a movie but none that talk about putting the movie on 1 and the rest of the disc on the second. I haven't tried the DVDsplitter yet so that might be the way to go. IFOedit is very tough to use for me. I am still new to all of this.
    Second part, I want to edit the menu so I can tell the user to put in the second DVD when they choose BONUS from the menu on DVD 1 and Insert DVD 1 when they choose Play from DVD 2. What program is the best for Menu edits? I DL menuEdit but the free version won't let me do much. I don't want to buy anything without making sure it will do what I need it to do. I get burned like that more times than I like. Thanks for all the help.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. forkndave

forkndave Member

Something that I have done to get the movie on one DVD and every thing else on a second disk with a functioning menu is to copy the entire DVD using DVD Shrink and compress the movie to still pictures on the second disk. That way the menu will work and you just use the first disk to watch the movie. Worked for me. I didn't have to compress the second disk at all except for the movie which was not intended to be watched.

4. nflp

nflp Guest

Thanks for the feedback. Some of these backups I'm trying are really confusing to do. I can do single discs just fine. I can do movie only, just fine but I want to be able to split a DVD-9 over two discs so the movie is on DVD 1 and the extras are on DVD 2 PLUS I want the menu structure to work on both discs.
    I am working with IFOedit and it seems to work just fine on this but I have a few quesitons that I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
    1. I am using Peter Pan as a demo to figure out how to do this on. In the begining of the disc (as on many DVDs) you have the coming soon. How do I get rid of that and still keep the menu system in tact? I try to delete the VOB files but then I get a Navagation Error when I try to play the disc. Is there a way to edit the order that the disc will play so things like the FBI screen, or the coming soon, or anything else I don't want does not play and it still can get to the menu system?
    2. I can't seem to figure out the menu edit ability. I want to blank out certain areas of the menu so, for instance, if you are on the extras disc you can not choose play movie and if you are on the movie discs you can not choose bouns material from the menu. How would I do that, and is there an easy way to do that?
    3. On the Disney Peter Pan I noticed three angle files for the main movie. They are all the same it seems so I can't figure out why there are 3 of them. Peter Pan does not use angles so can I just copy over angle 1 and leave it at that? How would that work with IFO edit? I noticed it has a angle option and keeping only 1 angle. Is that the correct way to handle a movie like Peter Pan or is there a better way?

Thanks again for the help.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You might want to try DVD Stripper out:
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/3/3-3-31.shtml

It allows you to either strip a disc down so it will fit on a single recordable or split it to 2 discs. For 2 disc backups you can choose to put any item from the disc either on 1 disc only or on both. It uses DVD Decryptor to rip and IfoEdit to re-author and once you play with it a little it's very easy to use.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I use TooCools guides at doom9 for IFOEdit. He went to all the trouble to make 'em so I won't try to repeat his work. Here is his guide for using IFOEdit to remove stuff:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50245

There are easier ways but keeping the original menus on both discs is going to be some work, so you may as well do it with IFOEdit and get used to it.

Doing this kind of thing blindly is not a great idea either so take a few hours or days and study a bit about DVD structure. This way you will have a better idea of what happens when you delete something and a DVD navigation error occurs:

http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/index.php

Backing up a DVD is pretty easy once you do it a few times, making changes to the structure is not. If you enjoy a challenge and want to learn more then this may be the way to go.
    I eventually want to get a high end authoring program and really get creative with home DVDs. A through knowledge of what is going on in that little round disc is required. Practicing with back-up DVDs and IFOEdit, reading as much as possible is the way to go for me.

7. vicster

vicster Guest

8. nflp

nflp Guest

Thanks for all the info. I am learning more and more about the structure of a DVD. My first test with Peter Pan was a success. I lost the audio commentary but that's not a biggie.
    One question I have is about quality. So far I am trying to get everything in a non-compressed state. But what about those films that are at 92% or better on the automatic compression with DVD Shrink? Am I going to notice a difference between 90%+ and the original, even on a big screen (say, a 65" Mitsubishi)?

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It depends. The good news about having very little recompression is that you may not notice it, depending on a number of things, including how efficiently it was compressed originally, how good your TV is, and your eyes. I have a friend who used to shrink quite a few movies with DVD Shrink and I've always been able to tell the difference even though he almost never tells me ahead of time, but most of those have been recompressed a lot.

I have several episodes of the TV series Farscape on DVD which are very poorly compressed in the original encoding. It's a very compressable source, but the DVDs have an average bitrate of nearly 7,000kbps which is ridiculous (something like 6.5GB for 2 52 minute episodes). After I re-encoded the first couple of episodes with CCE I had a couple of friends help me do some blind tests on a 65" Sony HDTV monitor. They couldn't tell the difference (and neither could I). Theoretically a transcoder like DVD Shrink could do at least as good a job because it keeps all the motion vector information from the original encode and doesn't do any colorspace conversion. If you search Doom9's One Click Tools forum for motion vectors you should find a thread or 2 discussing this.

On the other hand, I have other discs like the Army of Darkness Official Bootleg Edition that have quality problems in the original encode so I'd expect a noticeable quality difference no matter how little the size difference between the original and the copy. Fortunately, most of those problems that I've seen were because of fitting a movie to DVD-5 anyway so there's no recompression needed to make an exact copy.

Personally, I just make multiple disc copies (or movie only) in almost every case where it comes up because I like to take my movies to watch on my friends HDTV so I figure there's not much to be gained from lowering the quality (although you might never know on my TV).

Edit: I hadn't assumed earlier that you actually wanted to learn as much as you apparently do. Sorry, I've gotten used to people who just want to click as few buttons as possible to get the result they want. For actually figuring things out I agree with fasfrank about checking out TooCool's guides (and other info) on Doom9.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  10. nflp

nflp Guest

I went ahead and ran the disc at 92% then did a side by side comparision. I also used another person so I would have a biased opinion. I didn't tell them which version was the original and which was the backup. They were able to pick out the copy based off of the color. The backup version is a little less color than the original but well within acceptable levels. I don't know if I would go lower than 90% on a color film. I'll have to do a test on a B/W film.

11. nflp

nflp Guest

I don't know if this should be a new thread or not, but I'll go ahead and post it here.
    I am looking for some sort of uder guide for the program MenuEdit. I can use the program just fine but I want to redirect a menu button to a different file than it is going now and I can't really make much sense out of the edit command. Not sure which command it takes to redirect a button to a new VOB file. Thanks.

12. dimad

dimad Regular member

Have you looked into DvdReMake? Seems to be the tools for the task you describe.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.dimadsoft.com - home of MenuEdit and DvdReMake tools[/small]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi dimad,
    Its always nice when a software guy drop by the forums! I follow a lot of your stuff over at Doom9 and Im impressed by the way you value the input we users give you.

Im going to get your new program and play with it. Im a DVD Lab newbie so your creations are just my cup of tea!

I notice you are a Senior Member over at Doom9, We had one of the developers from Ahead here for a couple of posts and I think a guy from 321 Studios dropped by as well, these are just the folks I noticed. All you smart fellas had Newbie status ;)

Anyone interested in MenuEdit should look here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46178&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

And take a look at dimads stuff here:

http://www.dimadsoft.com/

14. dimad

dimad Regular member

Will see, may be not for a long :)

15. nflp

nflp Guest

With the DVDremake, how easy is it to use? I have Menu Edit right now and it works really well, but I don't understand some of the deeper areas like remapping a menu button and such. Does DVD Remake come with some instructions?

16. dimad

dimad Regular member