1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merge VOB and Keep DVD integrity intact(?)

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Dmc070, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

Lots of great stuff posted here, but unfortunately after reading til my eyes burned I couldn't find the exact scenario I am seeking to understand.

The situation is this: I have some vob ifo bup files ripped to my HD that comprise a full DVD of material that includes a menu w/ chapters and movie previews etc.

I am trying to find a way to use these files to burn a DVD that basically works like the original. I am hoping there is a way to burn it so I can use the menu, chapter and previews features just like on the original(I don't know if this is possible but that's one reason I am in this massive forum of knowledge:)

If this is not possible I would hope to find an alternative that is close. I have tried the merge titles feature on nero 7.10.1 and it sort of works but not quite.

I may need an education on DVD terminology and how they are put together. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you from the nkotb.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

Thank you for your reply attar. I do have DVD Shrink but I know less about it than what I am trying to do.

Will this program allow me to take multiple vob files and merge them into 1 that will play like the original DVD with all interactive features intact?

4. attar

attar Senior member

A typical use of DVD Shrink is to load all the files that were ripped from your DVD-9 and recompress them to fit a DVD-5.
    The new burned DVD would be working replica of the original (except that the prohibited functions, like skipping through the FBI warnings or the region restrictions would be removed).

5. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

Thank you for the suggestion of using DVD Shrink. I did try that but I could not get the result I was looking for. It just replicated the files I already have.

I may have mispoke in my first post also. The vob files I have were downloaded from a newsgroup rather than ripped. My mistake for the terminology :(

There are 2 bup files 2 ifo files a TS.vob and 0.vob thru 4.vob files. When I burn them using Nero 7 i get 6 menus and two of those are just the fbi and copyright verbage. No interactive menus or anything is available. If i try to merge all the files with Nero the main movie parts merge but the interactive menus etc. do not merge and i end up with a very confused DVD that is hard to navigate.

Do I need to re-author these things or is there something else Iam missing? I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to all this so, I am confused as to some of the more advanced avenues that may be available. I have read many other posts and some of it is way more advanced than I can understand.

I guess I don't know some of the questions let alone the answers. Is there any comprehensive source that I could learn from that has step by step examples perhaps?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry I am so ignorant of the nuances of Dvd burning/authoring

6. attar

attar Senior member

This is the file layout commonly found in a VIDEO_TS folder which comprise the complete movie.
    If the size of the files in the folder do not exceed 4.4GB, then they can be burned to a DVD disk using Nero Express.

On the other hand, are you saying that you have a number of these folders that you wish to combine onto a single DVD disk and on that disk you want to be able to select each one from a menu?

If that is so, and the total size does not exceed the 4.4 GB limit, then Nero Vision can be used.

The difference is, is that you add VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, etc from the first folder, then use the merge button on the lower left side of the window (centre button, group of three) to make all the files from the same folder, one discrete title.

This is repeated for the next folder, until the disk is full.

Each title then is assigned a menu button at the menu step, tested using the simulation step, then burned.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

Correct. The video files combined are not larger than the 4.4 gb limit and it is one movie with interactive menus. When I open them with Windows media player for example, I notice I can use the interactive menus, just like a commercial dvd.

I am trying to burn these files to a dvd and have it work the exact same way ie; being able to use the interactive menus and chapters etc.

I have used the merge function in Nero which helped but I was still not able to use the interactive menus from the original movie, as it seems those files did not merge with the titles.

Thank you for sticking with me here and for your help.

8. attar

attar Senior member

With 'Nero Express', if your files are in a standard DVD folder which has a functioning menu, then it should be reproduced on the burned DVD.
    All of the files (ifo,bup,vob) would be loaded and the burned DVD should be an exact copy - but note that only one DVD video folder may be loaded.
    The output can be written to the hard drive and tested with the media player before burning.

Using 'Nero Vision', you can load VOB files from disparate folders, but not the menu file(s) - so the original menu is lost - you must create a new menu.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  9. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

It sounds like you may be telling me that Nero Express works different than Nero Vision? My Nero Express dissapeared when I loaded Nero Vision.
    The thing is, i have viewed these vob files from windows media player and the menu's pull up and are useable. The structure seems a bit odd however as the menu comes up at the end of the movie.

I am not loading disparate files. They are all one movie and just want to be able to use the interactive features after burning to dvd.
    It sounds like I may be fighting a losing battle here though:)

Thanks for trying to help.

10. attar

attar Senior member

this is true.

Only 'Nero Express' will load everything, including the menu, from a DVD folder and output a disk with that menu.

If you are using Nero Vision', it will load the vob files relating to the title (the actual movie), it will not load the menu video - you will be offered the option of creating your own menu.

11. Dmc070

Dmc070 Member

That is really interesting to know! Strange thing is, I could swear I had Nero Express on my computer until I installed Nero 7 and did the update/upgreade and then I think 7 uninstalled Express.

That being the case, will it be possible to do what I am seeking with Express?

And is Express a free download?

Thanks again for all your help.