1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merging

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Miek, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Miek

Miek Guest

As you can tell from my question i am a newbie to video editing. I just got my Sony PC120BT MiniDV cam bout 3 months ago and I have no prior experience to the video editing field (been more of a programmer and graphic art design most my life). I use Avid Xpress DV to edit and export my videos. When I export MPEG format, I never get a choice as to export audio and video as one file. This isn't a problem for me as i like being able to convert the audio from wav to mp3 to save on file size. My problem is im not quiet sure how to merge the video and audio track without encoding to another format. I dont want to encode again just merge the audio and video file. Are there any simple but quality programs that can perform this task. Or does anyone know a way to make Avid merge the audio and video into the MPEG-1 file instead of getting and MPG and Wav file.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

To merge a movie file and an audio file is actually called multiplexing, merging is completely different (just thought i'd add a little note).

The program to do this best is TMPGEnc, and no before you ask, you don't need to encode again :)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/tmpgenc.cfm

when you open TMPGEnc, close the wizard that pops up and click File - Mpeg Tools. Now click the Multiplex tab.

Its very easy to do now, just click add and add your movie and the same for your audio. Also make sure that you select what type file you want. It will automatically be on Mpeg-1 anyway. You have to type an output filename for the end result so when you have that done, click Run. After a couple of minutes the two will be merged together into one file!

3. Miek

Miek Guest

thanks. ill try it now. other thing is i dont know if you use Avid. But when i encode my MPEG-4's with avid i set audio to "pass through" because speech and music are greyed out. and ive try selecting and delselecting monitor tracks for the audio tracks and my mpeg-4's are still coming out with no audio. I also choose "video and audio" in the options menu so i know its not that. any idea for people with Avid experience?

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Actually I couldn't really tell you cause I dont ever use MPEG-4 (unless I download something compressed in it). I'm more used to using (S)vcd for use in my dvd player!.

5. Miek

Miek Guest

oh i wasn't refering to MPEG-4 for DVD or VCD, far as i know there are no DVD or VCD players that play MPEG-4. MPEG-1 is for VCD and MPEG-2 is for SVCD and DVD. I was refering to MPEG-4 for web distrubution. heh just wanted to clear things up