1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

message for scuba pete

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nascards, Jan 17, 2005.

1. nascards

nascards Member

sorry to bother! but I have been searching for two hours now. I need your guide for backing up a dvd movie using dvd shrink & dvd decrypter. and also the fine tuning guide for dvd decrypter I have seen these before and would like to review them again. I have been having alot of burning issues {I/O errors}and want to go back to the basics.making to many coasters.I am using verbatiums so I know its not the media.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

3. nascards

nascards Member

Thanx
    hey give me a little info in drive channels. I keep seeing diffrent post about when burning your hd and the dvd drive should be on diffrent channels.what is the real deal with this.my settings are
    samsung hd location:0 {primary ata channel}
    sony dru530a location 0 {primary ata channel}<use this one for burning>
    sony dwd18a location 1 {primary ata channel}
    does this look ok to you?

4. flip218

no ... If you have two ide channels you'll have

Primary master, Primary slave
    Secondary master, secondary slave.

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

and if your married:

You = Slave
    Wife = Master

6. nascards

nascards Member

kewl thanks alot. just been having alot of burning issues as of late.and wanted to double check everything.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nascards,

Sorry about being so late - Next time just PM me with your thread's address and I'll stop by a bit quicker ~

What "issues" are you having "Burn-wise" ?

Lay it on me and we'll see if we can straighten it out . . .

Pete

8. nascards

nascards Member

thanks alot pete much appreiciated. I was recieving I/o errors galore.don't really know waht the issue is but I uninstalled both shrink and decrypter then reinstalled and set decrypter to your settings and I did get a sucessful burn {spiderman 2}brandnew movie just bought.I watched it last night seems to chop in spots {blocks} blanks out totally in another scene then resumes play.I am guessing the only reason I got a good burn was because in decrypter In settings under I/O tab I have ignore read errors ticked.and just for your information this is a new system about 3 months old this is the reason I was concerned with the channel issue.Just kinda shootin at anything right now.I did save a decrypter log file{failed burn} if you would like to see it let me know.

Here is the media I have been using
    SONY DVD RW DRU-530A 2.1g (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,297,888
    Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
    Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: MCC 01RG20

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Part Version: 5
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

any help would be much appreaciated!

9. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Dont mean to be rude but I will be.

Your set up seems nice enough. Two DVD drives, AMD 64, You have a clue about ide channels and which is burning on which.

You sure your not a spy from Sony or some other place?

And two hours looking for Decryptor Guides? If you DL decryptor from here the guide link would have been right below it.

10. nascards

nascards Member

now I don't want to be rude either NEWBIE!but I am just trying to get a little help here I just built this new system and have been having burning issues ever since.where I didnot have any problems burning with my old system{gateway}.and as for

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ nanu-nanu,

Actually you won't be rude AND be permitted to hang around here for long -

Straighten up and behave, your attitude isn't needed here - be nice OR be gone . . .

nascards,

We're fine - Trust me, if you were out of line I'd be the very first to point it out just as I'm letting that twrip know we don't need an attitude. At least not while I'm around, I've got enough "attitude" for a whole forum . . .

NOW, back to us -

DVDD didn't cause the bad play UNLESS you were trying to burn at 8X or higher. This is a problem coming from somewhere else -

Let's start with your basics, OK ?

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

Physically, Your burner s/b set as "master" on your IDE cable and the IDE cable s/b an 80-pin cable not a 40-pin. Always double-check your burner's jumpers to make sure they are correctly set for master, not slave if you installed the burner yourself.

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance - When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Now we need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer -

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

Finally, we need to check your DMA. "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Go to "My Computer, ""System Tools," "View System Information," then System Properties, "Hardware," Then Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Once we've done that, our DVD burner should operate at peak efficiency :D)

Cheers,

Pete

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  12. flip218

@nanu-nanu,

Not a very good way to start a post.

Other than the first part of the post ... nanu-nanu's post wasn't rude at all.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gee flip, I thought the comments made to nascards were in the rude smart-ass vein -

You didn't think so ? ?

14. flip218

No I don't.

Others have been more rude in their posts. Myself included at times, and Pete you've had your moments. It's an open forum ... just as long as they are not grossly breaking the rules, let them be. Also ... there is a difference when some one is being rude and being stupid.

IMO ... a stupid comment. Big deal if nascards was a spy. What would that matter?

As for this ... another stupid comment. If nanu-nanu would have actually read nascards original post, he would understand that nascards was looking for you dvd decrypter guide (ScubaPete's DVD Decrypter guide).

ie. thread title: message for scuba pete
    beginning of the post: I need your guide for backing up a dvd movie using dvd shrink & dvd decrypter.

@nascards,

Some people can get away with two burners on the same IDE channel ... some cannot. I notice you have a sata HD. Question: Are your burners on the same IDE channel?

15. nascards

nascards Member

thanks again pete sorry took so long to get back to you but we are in the middle of a major snow storm cable keeps goin out ie:no internet.well back to the problem at hand.firmware is correct 2.1g.ASPI Layer ran ASPI Checker says error aspi not properly installed so I downloaded Force 1.8 ASPI Layer it is a zip file and if I am reading it right I have to run it from command prompt I have not installed this yet because I am not sure how to run of extract this file kinda learry never used command prompt before not sure quite how to install. sorry for my stupity.and as for my DMA settings they are set to ultra DMA2-ultra 33 on the primary channel I see the dru-530a {master} and the dwd18a {slave} on secondary channel nothing.if I click on the second IDE ATA//ATAPI Controller I see the hard drive samsung this is also on the primary chammel {master } serial ata dma.hope this helps. once again "THANK YOU SCUBA PETE" {yes I was yelling}

16. nascards

nascards Member

17. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

nascards...you got thatforceapsi file to download? everytime i try to download...it says the file is invalid or corrupted.
    @scubapete...is there another link to the forceapsi site or is that it? that file is corrupted for me

18. flip218

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

That's not true ... at least if you have XP. I've never had to open a command prompt.

Just unzip, click killaspi then click instaspi, reboot and run aspi check.

19. nascards

nascards Member

Thanks flip I did as you said and after rebooting several times I still see under ASPI Checker says error aspi not properly installed.am I doing this correct? very confused.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nascards,

I don't know why you're having trouble - -

Use KillASPI first to get rid of all other ASPI's, corrupted and otherwise THEN use Force ASPI OR this Adaptec ASPI v4.71.2 -

http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

Me, I'd use the Force ASPI.

You need an ASPI layer unless you are using Nero (it has it's own ASPI layer).

Cheers,

Pete