1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messiah 2 Installation - Alternate Soldering Points...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by satan!, Feb 23, 2003.

1. satan!

satan! Member

I am currently installing a Messiah 2 PAL into my PS2, i have succesfully soldered all the 'Easy' points and am currently struggling with points ABCDEFGHI. I have made several attempts to solder to the legs but then been forced to desolder due to bridges etc. Because of this the pin legs are becomming vary bare and proving very difficult to tin due to their size.

Does anyone know of any alternate points [their must be some] to solder points DEFG & I. I have had a quick look round with multimeter and nothing obvious could be found.

4 More questions:
    * What are those magnification goggles watch repair men use?
    * Is an anti-static band advised/neccessary?
    * Is their any other equipment around that aids soldering to surface mounted components, in particular ICs
    * I bought some EasyWeld Soldering paste, is this any use as i have not used it yet as it seems rather awkward and pointless?

Thanks in advance...

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

I bought a head mounted magnifier from Altex.
    Soldering to the chip legs is just tools and technique. It's actually easy if you have the correct equipment. I think it's easier than the pads next to the bios.

You need a small tip .4mm 1/64th inch or less. This is about the minimum size.
    You need to keep your tip prepared so it will take solder. Put solder on your tip and wipe with damp sponge. If solder won't stick to the tip you may have to replace it. You can use some sand paper to clean off you tip if that is the only way it will take solder.

Use a small amount of flux on the wire and pre-tin.
    Put the wire on top of the leg. parallel with it. Prepare your tip and if possible put a very tiny amount of solder on the tip. Just barely enough to see.
    Put the soldering iron on top of the wire which is now on top of the pin. It should bond in about 1 second or less.
    I just use standard 60/40 rosin core solder.
    You could use the rasor blade technique if you must. You can search the forum to get tips on this. I posted one a few weeks ago.
    Be sure your wire is 30 awg or smaller I use 32 awg If you wire is too large it will make this very hard.
    Good luck I don't know what else to say once your learn how you will find it easy.

3. satan!

satan! Member

Thanks, thats pretty much what i have been doing. Although i am using 60/40 Flux solder - would buying some seperate flux be worth it? Also could you give a bit more info on that head gear youve got: Was it a worthwile investment? How much? Where from?

Thanks again..

PS Are their any known alternate solder points?

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

Yes the flux will help a lot. Get some paste and use a tooth pick to apply.
    I got my head mounted magnifier at Altex Electronics. I don't remember what it was called or how much but it was reasonable.
    It has 3 lenses with different magnification.
    It is a huge help.