1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - black screen, won't boot disk!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by unR, Jan 8, 2005.

1. unR

unR Member

Hello, please help a noob, i don't really know much stuff about backing-up and mod-chipping and stuff.
    I have this problem, i have a disk , Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance that is 2.2 gb. It is the 1 one, without extra levels etc. I have a mod-chip in my PS2, but i dont really know the name, my dad bought it ..
    i just insert the disk, and press the "reset" button to play games... and now MGS2:S, when i insert the disk, it shows the PS2 logo, and then black screen + the disk stops spinning ... what should i do ?

2. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

use better media and burn SLOWER. Get Verbatim, Maxwell, or Fujifilm DVDs and try and see if your ps2 can read DVD+R dvds.

Good Luck!
    Chris

3. unR

unR Member

well, i can tell the details now:
    my mod-chip is Messiah2. When i put it in, PS2 shows its logo, but the disk doesn't even start spinning, it just makes some little noise like it's reading some data, and black screen...
    the files on the disk are 2.2 gb... isn't that too little for a 4.7gb disk ? maybe some files are missing ? The folders are : MGS2, Modules, SKATE, and files SLES_820.09(835kb) and SYSTEM(1kb). In MGS - DEMO2.DAT(274.814kb) STAGE2.DAT(1.286.344kb) MOVIEVR.DAT(437.120kb) and VOX2.DAT(212.066kb).
    In MODULES - IOPRP255.img, MODULE.ipk, PLD.IRX.
    In SKATE - folders FBD MODULES and SOUND and files SKATE2.ELF and IOPRP255.img ... in these folders are there are some files too ...
    So, maybe some files are missing ?
    also, i have gta san andreas on a DVD+R disk, and some other games on dvd-r, so i think my ps2 CAN read them, so the only way is to burn on the lowest speed ?

4. unR

unR Member

well, i burned another disk with 1.x speed, the disks are TRAXDATA, and same result... some data-read noise and black screen...
    some people talked about seperating MGS2:S into two disks, so i have the 1 disk, but the movies MOVIEVR.DAT(437.120kb) are only 440 mb and it's "VR" i dont know maybe they are movies from VR missions or something... maybe the game looks for the intro movie, so there's the noise, and can't find it and stops ??? somebody, who has 2 backup disks of this game, can u help

5. unR

unR Member

please ppl answer some1

6. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

hm.. sounds like a demo with msg2:demo or something.. but idk about this problem.

7. unR

unR Member

i didn't understand what you say... but if you think that it is the game demo, then i think NO, cause it is just half-size than the original disk... some people talked about making backups of this game, and they seperated it into 2 disks, the first one with the game, and the second one with extra missions and stuff ... i think i have the 1 disk.

8. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

then i guess im wrong but thats what i saw.. i have no idea how this game is then.. sorry :(

9. hursty

hursty Active member

this game is over 4.7gb,so to fit it onto 1 dvd,some files where removed and replaced with a dummy file containing nothing,sounds like your copy is a dud.
    i have messiah 2 also,with the game being on 1 disc.
    regards hursty

10. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

o wait if the game is over 4.7GB then why dont you get the original (like rent it [Don't delete me just warn me if im saying something illegal]) and then get a file from swapmagicfix.com and its called Rip to DVD5 and it will tell you what to do for that game.. here is a link for your game: http://www.swapmagicfix.com/MetalGearSolid2Substance.zip
    that should tell you how to burn it onto 2 DVDs and such.

Good Luck!
    Chris