1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metroid Prime 3 on a mod Wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by bass_hit, Aug 16, 2007.

1. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

I'm paranoid. I haven't done the 3.0 update yet. I'm an import gamer and that's all I use my wiikey for is playing PAL and NTSC-J titles on my NTSC-U wii. Nintendo has blocked the Wiikey setup discs in their curent form.

What happens when their next big title comes out? Will it work? Is anyone else waiting to see what happens on Aug. 27th? Will this board be filled with "Metroid Prime 3 Bricked My Wii" posts?

I don't dare to move on this update thing. Maybe it's just me.

2. redrumbrg

redrumbrg Member

well i don't know about metroid prime 3 but boogie just came out and it doesn't work without the update to 3.0u i am still waiting to see what all comes of this

3. champ2131

champ2131 Member

I beg to differ, I'm using Boogie w/o 3.0u

4. amannyr

amannyr Member

I have tried playing Boogie with 2.2U and it doesn't work. The disc is recognized but when I click on Start, nothing comes up, not even the screen to tell me to put my wrist strap on.

5. aznsai

aznsai Member

mate, maybe its the media you are using.
    mines play fine with firmware 2.2u

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

7. MistahK

MistahK Regular member

prime3 a no go with me. plays then says disc read error. clonecd burn doesn't work at all hardly, but still loads. img burn worked and let me start a profile and change settings but still disc read error when gameplay started. now i am trying img burn at slowest disc speed to see what happens. wish me luck.

8. MistahK

MistahK Regular member

nevermind.img burn 4x speed. working like a charm.

9. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

Good to know that the backup works. Original should work fine then. Thanks for the testing.

10. Tarfu

Tarfu Member

Same here with Metroid Prime 3 burned at 8x like I normally do and although the game loaded I got errors. Went back and burned again at 2x (nero, lowest speed) and everything is fine so it seems metroid is a bit more finicky then any other games.

11. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

How could it be?!?? What mod chip did you use for your Wii? I have Wiikey on my NTSC-U Wii (2.2U) and I'm on the same boat with some people here: unable to play both Boogie & Metroid. They both prompted me to update and I'm paranoid to update. I'll hold on for a little bit longer to wait & see until I'll have no choice but to update to play those games. I'll update via online rather than from the disc to avoid bricking it

12. kidpanda

kidpanda Member

just to let you guys know, i'm using an official wiikey and 2.2u on a ntsc wii, metroid prime 3 ran an update but not a 3.0u update and the game works fine

13. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

Goog. I'm going to be using my Fujifilm DVD-R discs. It's burning at 4X using ImgBurn but I think I might want to try a lower setting (using Nero) as well just to be on the safe side...

14. PJ84

PJ84 Member

I have a PAL Wii, im guessing i need to update to 3.0, to play metroid prime. But i dont have internet on my wii. Any other way i can update. Im thinking of geting mario party 4 PAL would that have 3.0 on it.

15. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

So did you run the update from the disc? What kind of an update is that if it's not 3.0u update? Or it's also a firmware update but older (newer) version? By the way, I know that this is a little bit off topic but anyone has the same experience with Boogie that also runs a different update?

16. kidpanda

kidpanda Member

i'm guessing it was some other update, as i checked after it did it and it said i was still on 2.2...also before i performed the update the disc would not load it that helps at all...

17. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

I got to test my backups of MP3. ImgBurn @ 4x loaded. Attempted to do update from disc: FAILED. I put in the CloneCD version @ 1x and the updaut worked like a charm. Crashed during the intro movie. Reset Console.

Tried skipping the movie. Crashed on the menu screen. DRE. Ejected the disc and it prompted me to put the disc back in. I did so (all without reseting) and the menu loaded. Started playing. Works fine now...

Picky picky pick...

18. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

Thank you very much for verifying! I guess I'm in the same situation like you before the update: wii read the disc but the disc channel is blank and when I clicked on that icon, the disc would spin and prompt me to update. I'll go ahead and do the update. One thing that still makes me curious though is what exactly it does update if it's not the firmware?

19. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

Just want to let you know that I had exactly same problem: both Metroid AND Boogie didn't boot up on my Wii. I've just did the update from Metroid disc (took about 10 seconds!) and both booted up perfectly! Checked the firmware afterwards and it's still 2.2u! And my Wiikey set up disc still boots up like normal! I don't know why both games need that update to boot up and why that update didn't affect the firmware. So don't be so paranoid! Go ahead and update it as the disc prompts you to. By the way, I have NTSC-U Wii version 2.2u with wiikey

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The Boogie game disc adds Microphone support. I have heard Metroid Prime 3 adds MP3 support.