1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mewbie Question for backing up new movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ALLmytFSM, May 1, 2007.

1. ALLmytFSM

ALLmytFSM Guest

Hello, I recently purchased a DVDRW/CDRW drive for my computer, came with a disc that apparently had Nero on it, so I never had to pay for it (maybe its a trial though... never said anything about it being a trial..).

I wanted to start backing up my movie collection because a few of my DVDs have broken or scratched and I had to buy new copies, which was a hassle, so here goes:

I have DVD Shrink 3.2 (latest version downloaded from afterdawn.com) and as I said before, I also have Nero. I have successfully made backups of: Deja Vu, Philadelphia, The History boys, Children of Men, The Bone Collector, The Last King of Scotland, and (hurrah for it) The Boondock Saints. However, when I tried to make a backup of The Queen, after analyzing the disc, it only showed a 19 minutes main movie, which turned out to be a making of feature. I'm guessing that this is because of some type of DRM on the disc that DVD Shrink cannot decrypt.

I'm not terribly concerned about backing up this DVD specifically, but if this one wont back up, then some other movies must not, right? Basically what I've been doing is:

Opening disc with DVD SHRINK
    <DVD shrink analyzes>
    Clicking "Backup!"
    Selecting to burn to the blank disc in my DVDRW optical drive (since I have Nero it goes straight to burn).
    <DVD Shrink Encodes>
    <DVD Shrink Burns>
    Out pops the disc and I have a backup on my hardrive also (I cant find a way to keep that from happening so I just delete it each time after the disc successfully burns).

So, my question is, what's a better way, program, etc? I know that some people backup the movie onto their hard drive, then shrink the movie, change the file type, then burn, but I have no idea how to do that. I'm probably going to have more questions... at least I'm posting in the newbie forum, right? :p

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

3. ALLmytFSM

ALLmytFSM Guest

So is DVD decrypter the best thing to use? Can you just burn directly without backing up? Or do you have to back up on your hard disk first?

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are many ways to copy and burn DVDs..... here are just some of my programs that I use:
    [​IMG]
    so if you want to you can do almost anything with DVDs..... follow the guides and read more! here is another good read:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136

5. careibo

careibo Member

Hi,
    I've been using shrink 3.2 for a few years (without problems most of the time). As you didn't receive an error message, it's unlikely that copy protection is at the root of your problem. Rather, it looks like you simply selected the wrong "Title" to copy. You said you went directly from Analysis to Backup. The missing link is "Reauthor" which is the icon on the far right of the menu. When you click on this icon, you get a list of "Titles" which are segments of the DVD. "Title 1" almost always is the largest and is the main movie. The others are everything from titles to previews to extras and "Warnings." If the compression percentage is less than about 80, it's a good idea to reauthor (in my experience) for best quality. Select "Title 1," click on it, and drag it to the box on the left side. Then click on the Compression tab at the top of the right box. If the level is still under 100%, uncheck things like languages and subtitles you don't need, until it reaches 100%. Then click on the backup icon. The result will be that you copy the main movie only (no warnings, title slides, previews, extras, etc.) to your hard drive, from which you can burn it to disk. It will always go to your hard drive, because it has to "backup" to another place before you burn it. Whether you keep it or not is up to you.

You'll find a lot of helpful information in the DVD Shrink users guide on this forum.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_movie_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Good luck. I hope this helps, and know you'll enjoy using shrink!

Carrie