1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro sd capacity on R4DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by taker0, Jan 22, 2008.

1. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Obviously by using an adapter, you now have your micro SD cards sticking out of the DS. Doesn't sounds like an option that many people will gravitate toward. Do you have a picture that you can post so we can all see what it looks like?

On a side note, 3 x 8 GB is 24 GB not 32 GB.

2. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

3. silk42

silk42 Regular member

4. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

my bad it was 24 gb BIG DIF!anywho the adaptor was taped to the back of the ds so no hanging.As for picture your outta luck till i complete my site which will show people alot of mods to different systems but yea.Does anyone here no how to hak a gamecube?

5. lawired1

lawired1 Member

I can answer this question from experience. You can only use a 1GB or 2GB microSD card. I learned this by buying a 4GB which will result in a common error you see on boards: the DS hangs up after startup with a screen that only says Loading... and you can't get to the GUI.

I had a 1GB microSD in my phone for camera phone pictures and when I swapped them out, the R4 running v1.18 ran perfectly. I've had no problems since. I work with three friends who all have 2GB cards that work fine.

DS R4 Revolution brick stuck Loading screen Loading... black screen Nintendo DS R4 NDSL/NDS Revolution for DS

6. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

u r a newbie because the R4-III reads micro sd hc cards which can hold up to 16gb for a single.so yea.

7. helldozer

helldozer Member

I have question. I just bought the R4 that doesn't support 4GB SDHC. I see that there is clone R4, named R4 SDHC.

http://www.r4sdhc.com/soft/27-en.htm

Can you use the kernel from the clone, on the original R4 to get it to accept the 4GB SDHC, or is that a hardware limitation?

Thanks,
    Helldozer

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  8. joliverio

joliverio Member

The site you mention seem to be the original new R4 with SDHC, because is so similar as the original R4, including the product packaging...

If I understood well; you have the original R4 model generation 1, that do NOT support SDHC, I guess it is a hardware limitation; you will never make this product being compatible with any SDHC memory. I think still can find 4GB SD (not SDHC) memory card but I don't know whether can really work on a standard R4, try more information before make any decision

9. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Yes, that is correct. they are two completely different products made by different people. I would assume the firmware for one will not work on the other and vice versa, but since all it involves is a downlaod and try, you should try it. I don't think it can muck anything up permanantly. Let us know.

Good luck with that. If you find any, buy them all. I don't think you will have any success, but you might.

10. FLUID36

FLUID36 Member

HI AGE1039 JUST BOUGHT THE SAME CARD WITH THE SAME IDENTIFICATION MARKS I E: R4 SDHC ON BOX AND CARTRIDGE, AND HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM NOT BEING ABLE TO GET THE RIGHT KERNEL, YOU DID SAY THAT YOU FOUND THE RIGHT SITE TO DOWNLOAD FROM ,COULD YOU OR ANYONE ELSE HELP
    CHEERS

11. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

i bought one of those sdhc 1's bout 3 weeks ago mine came with the disc to install it.if anyone needs the kernel just ask me.
    and yes i tried using the other r4ds kernel but it doesnt work.

12. AGE1039

AGE1039 Member

The kernel that finally worked for me I found at:
    www.R4sdhc.com

But now I try to go to that site and I get an error message. odd.

13. FLUID36

FLUID36 Member

hi i seem to have tried all the sites and probably tried all the kernels , it is just as simple as drag and drop or am i doing something wrong?? i've got the r4sdhc

14. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

I had the same problem at first cause i didnt copy the _R4_III_.DAT. but heres what you need in the root of of your card. 1._DS_MENU_.DAT 2._DS_MENU.SYS 3._DS_MSHL.NDS 4._R4_III.DAT 5._SYSTEM_ "ALL THAT MUST BE IN THE ROOT OF THE SD(HC) WHICHEVER YOU GOT" Next all this should also be in the _SYSTEM_ folder. 1.EBOOK 2. THEMES 3. CHEAT.DAT 4. GBAFRAME.BMP. <If you have all that it should work without a problem.

15. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

I had the same problem at first cause i didnt copy the _R4_III_.DAT. but heres what you need in the root of of your card. 1._DS_MENU_.DAT 2._DS_MENU.SYS 3._DS_MSHL.NDS 4._R4_III.DAT 5._SYSTEM_ "ALL THAT MUST BE IN THE ROOT OF THE SD(HC) WHICHEVER YOU GOT" Next all this should also be in the _SYSTEM_ folder. 1.EBOOK 2. THEMES 3. CHEAT.DAT 4. GBAFRAME.BMP. <If you have all that it should work without a problem.

16. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Good luck with that. If you find any, buy them all. I don't think you will have any success, but you might.[/quote]

You can find this non-SDHC MicroSD card here for $28.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161268

17. castlend

castlend Member

4GB sdhc worked for my R4, I brought it from here

They sell the memory cards really cheap. I'm thinking of getting a another one soon.

Can R4 play mp3 music?

18. wiizard

wiizard Member

Can u post the kernel details or link or SOMETHING that makes 4gb sdHC work pls?

I have just bought 2 4GB SDHC cards and i get the loading... screen everyone talks about.

If u have got ur 4gb sdhc to work PLS post exactly how - y say u found the right kernel and not link to it in your post?

This is a helping forum not a bragging one i believe?

OK worked it out i think - hopefully this will answer all peoples questions.

There are diff versions of the R4DS - The Original then R4 -II and now R4-III.

The original R4 WILL NOT WORK WITH 4gb SDHC cards.

I BELIEVE the R4III has been made specifically to take the larger sdhc system. Someone posted to place the r4III file in the root etc - this wont work for an original r4ds - i tried it.

There are different updates of firmware still being released for these diff versions so Orig R4 is now up to Kernel 1.18 but via the link i mention below i saw diff releases for diff models inc 1.21 and 3.03 - U need to know which version u have to choose the correct update

it will become clearer if u head to the r4dsl.net site - its in asian language but there is an english link at top of page that will help.

if im not allowed to place links google r4DSL and look for a ".net" address

In a nutshell if u want large capacity like 4gb and up - u need to upgrade to the R4III version - which is what im gonna do now that i bought TWO 4gb cards!

Hope this makes it clear for all.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  19. castlend

castlend Member

Erm I had the loading screen problem.

There are 2 firmwares for the R4DS. One for SD and one for SDHC.

And they can both be found here. http://www.techzo.co.uk

When you get to that link go to software updates.

I have tested this on my R4DS and it solved my loading screen problem.

20. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member